kgk

Recommendations for Cameras Sensitive to 940nm IR

I would very much appreciate specific recommendations for analogue cctv cameras for exterior use which have good low light sensitivity (in general) and (specifically) are sensitive to 940nm infrared, which -- in this application -- is supplied by separate illuminators.

- I am looking for board or (finger/ lipstick) bullet cameras that I can conceal – no big box cams, domes, or integrated IR bullets

-They need not be integrally waterproof housings, I can have many sheltered areas I can mount cameras and can build customized housings that work for my covert locations.

Why 940? The usual reasons, or so I imagine …

- My installations are entirely covert, no cameras are visible, typically even if you know where they are and 850nm lighting stands out like a billboard

- Years ago, I was spoiled by use of some very nice 940 surveillance equipment and its hard to forget how nice it is to be truly covert (oh, to have a mil spec budget!!!)

- I prefer not to use white security lighting for reasons of personal preference and out of respect for my neighbors (light pollution); where I use white light it is with perimeter alarms only and set well inside the property ( I want the IR so that I can see someone before they trip the inner perimeter).

Wish list and dreams? - I have an effio-p/ 960h camera that is great for color in the day and wonderfully responsive to 850 at night, but entirely useless with 940. If only I could will it to work at the higher end of the spectrum. Sure it would be nice to have ‘one camera to rule them all’ – perfect color and black and white clear enough to have made Ansel Adams jealous; but, I am not expecting identification from the night capable cameras. Their role is to provide detection (possibly recognition), and I am not expecting identification. I don’t want to get too hung up on color vs BW or TVL. Indeed, from what I can gather, I probably need an exview bw with lower tvl than I my marketting influenced brain thinks I need.

From lurking about a while in the forums, I know to expect at least a few questions from folks here who are looking for the additional information that helps them help me. I am only too happy to answer them!

I’d just like some advice from people who have had hands on, know what works and can offer an honest assessment of whatever recommendations they might make.

Thanks for sharing your hard won expertise!

K

One last thought --- - Unfortunately, (at least it is unfortunate when looking for cctv cameras) I live in England. We can’t get our hand on a lot of the same cameras here that are available in the US (and when we can, they cost 2x as much). So, extra thanks if anyone is able to recommend models (and a distributer, by PM of course) available in the UK/EU.

Hi Tom,

I have two basic ranges / scenarios to be covered

1) max distance between camera/ illumination and target is about 30M (100 feet); background is plants, trees, etc with low reflectivity; and,

2) max distance 7-8M (25 feet); reflective hard bright surfaces, buildings and pavements

Any experience with the camera you highlighted here?

Thanks,

K

Hi. yes we have setup these cameras for cheshire police in covert areas. with 940s (nothing over 25m) but good images.

ill PM you a link to cam and illuminator.

Tom -- thanks for the info. Had to put things on hold for a while, but will chase your recommendations next week.

K

I also wanted to thank whomever it was that also sent me a PM on the 940 topic.

Unfortunately, that message seems to have disappeared so I have lost the info.

The person that sent it indicated that they had access / were able to supply cameras not otherwise widely available in the UK.

I remain greatful for any additional suggestions anyone and everyone has to offer!

K

The person that sent it indicated that they had access / were able to supply cameras not otherwise widely available in the UK.

thats a big claim. if you had the info via PM. do homework first. and if they cant be bothered to post on your thread then i would say they are not from the UK.

thats a big claim. if you had the info via PM. do homework first. and if they cant be bothered to post on your thread then i would say they are not from the UK.

Definitely something to keep in mind; thanks for the observation.