Sign in to follow this  
Will1962

Vivotek FD8361

Greetings everyone,

I have decided to install a simple 2 cam setup at my house after a rash of break ins have

occured in my area.

Originally I wanted them to have built in IR illuminators for night time, but since I am concerned

with the over-all looks of the cameras on my house I have decided I want them installed into the eave of

my roof. Since my house is 2 stories, the IR illuminators on the cameras would be virtually

useless at that height. I have considered installing two motion acitivcated flood

lights at the front and back of my house as opposed to separate illuminators.

Originally I was set on purchasing 2 Vivotek FD8361 camera's but since I have decided

the IR function isn't a huge asset to me, I was thinking of purchasing the same version of camera

minus the illuminators.

What I am looking for is:

-High resolution

-Motion triggers to be processed at camera level so I can use a nettop/older computer to record to

-Dome style

-Varifocal lens w/optical zoom

I would greatly appreciate any ideas or opinions you guys have, or what setups have worked for you.

Thanks

Will

I use the VIVOTEK FD cameras, they are excellent quality, great features and the software seems to be pretty advanced with options.

If you wan't a cheap solution... well i used an old computer Blue Iris software and an eBay wireless camera... It's surprisingly works great. With wireless camera you need to have line of sight for the receiver and most don't have IR. This is like $80 total + laptop

But if you can spend ~$300 on vivotek ip camera... i would go with that, they have the option to put an SD card in them and you set it to do motion record and store for only 4 days, you don't even need a dvr/laptop then.

At that resolution, its important to have a good source of light even with a lox lux level. If its hit or miss with the light like the moon, it may be better to add illumination or a flood light like you mentioned. Have you considered adding an external illuminator for the camera? Some vivotek cams have an optional ir illuminator.