hubjeep

Driveway cam and weather condition cam, google earth pics...

Howdy all,

this is my first camera install, plan to use a Dahua Professional 8 channel DVR, Cat5 with Balun's, and a Veilux 8 output power supply.

This system is to monitor driveway, exterior doorway traffic (no interior cams), and thought it would be neat to have a camera out to the water. My tentative plan was to use CNB VCM-24VF cameras by the driveway, and cheaper Qvis EYE-N-35-FW-N cameras by doors since they all don't have light.

Here is a pic of the driveway setup I was thinking.

189985_1.jpg

Here is the water cam, I know it's a long-shot (no pun intended) to get a decent pic. The camera can go inside or out (I don't know what you guys think about installing a camera looking through a window, this may be a no-no).

189985_2.jpg

Any suggestions you have would be great, I would like to order some things up this week.

Thanks,

John

I don't know what you guys think about installing a camera looking through a window, this may be a no-no

Generally not a great idea, but with IR cameras better not do it at all, you will have IR reflection big time.

Is that saltwater or freshwater? The picture was confusing me as it looks like that the top of the picture that you are looking at the flat surface of the water but the bottom half of the picture it looks like satellite view from the top.

I don't know what you guys think about installing a camera looking through a window, this may be a no-no

Generally not a great idea, but with IR cameras better not do it at all, you will have IR reflection big time.

Is that saltwater or freshwater? The picture was confusing me as it looks like that the top of the picture that you are looking at the flat surface of the water but the bottom half of the picture it looks like satellite view from the top.

OK, will put camera outside.

Saltwater, there is a breakwater about a mile out (sandy strip about 1/3 down in the pic) which may confuse things.

Your house is pretty close to the water, do you get alot of Sea Spray and saltwater intrusion on your property, or is it not much of a problem due to the breakwater?

CNB VCM-24VF or Dahua ESCEB700-1 (appears to have better specs than VCM-24 at a lower price?)

Nada. Other than higher TVL (pretty much irrelevant over 500), it's nowhere near the spec. The CNB has a higher weatherproof rating (IP66 vs IP65 for the EB), which will be important if you're putting it outside, especially near the ocean. There are no actual lux numbers listed for the ES, but I'd be willing to bet that the CNB also has far better low-light performance, which WILL matter at night as the IR won't do you any good looking out at the water. The ES also has a slightly longer max focal length (12mm vs. 10.5mm), but for this purpose, one expects you'd be going with the widest shot possible, for which both cameras are the same (2.8mm).

Oh yeah, and the CNB is dual-voltage and handles a pretty wide range of supply voltages, which will be important when you're running its power 1000'

Your house is pretty close to the water, do you get alot of Sea Spray and saltwater intrusion on your property, or is it not much of a problem due to the breakwater?

Not much sea spray it is quite a bit above sea-level.

Any suggestions for a water-view weather condition camera?

Any suggestions for a water-view weather condition camera?

What do you hope to capture with a water view?

...yeah because my first thought, after seeing the picture, was a box cam with a decent zoom lens then I thought what is practical versus something "neat"? If it's just to watch the sea and not worry about detail then the CNB would be fine. Other than that is has to be a box cam or MP right?

According to CNB, the VCM-24VF is only IP65: http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1073

Not sure why they rated it like that as its sealed up really nice, to me, it looks every bit of IP66.

But this is the reason why I ask if that was ocean you lived by. For protection over time, the CNB may actually be a better choice in this scenario mainly for that reason. Its pretty rugged, and saltwater moisture overtime can really eat away at stuff like that. Just keep in mind that it has no IR, so for your real dark areas, you may want to get external IR illuminators or get some motion lights or if you have decent lighting around your property at night, the CNB's should be able to pick up on that. But dont get me wrong, they definetely cannot see in real dark scenarios so be sure to add some sort of illumination in your darker areas. Each camera has its own unique advantages, but in this case considering the seawater, may be a good idea to play it safe and get the CNB.

As far as the real wide shot out in the Sea, is there a real particular point of interest that you want to focus on or are you just trying to get a real wide shot. The thing with analog cameras, is for super wide shots like that, they dont get alot of detail on far away objects at all. Are you just trying to see right out in front of your immediate beach?

What do you hope to capture with a water view?

Are you just trying to see right out in front of your immediate beach?

Yes, the lawn and maybe some of the immediate water (it's hard to see in the pics, but there is a 40' drop at the end of the lawn, stairs go down to the beach), just to see what the weather/harbour conditions are, as it is always interesting to look at.

and how far away is the 40' drop from the proposed camera location?

About 100' of lawn.

I think the main thing is, IR is going to be pointless in your seascape camera. Go with the CNB for its superior low-light image so the sea will be more than just a big black spot at night.

What about this with a , 5-100MM lens.

Samsung SCC 130

BTW, this camera can be mounted under a deck roof to keep out of direct rain.

That's got a great lens on it but the night image doesnt compare to the CNB. May be good to go with all CNB just to keep it simple.

That's got a great lens on it but the night image doesnt compare to the CNB. May be good to go with all CNB just to keep it simple.

I am going to put one of those CNB units on the water side and the other in the driveway priority location. The Dahua 700TVL Eyeball dome I ordered will go in the other driveway position so I can compare the two.

Thanks for the help.

-John