estep33

Looking for a good 1-2 camera system. (Live in apartment)

Well, I am obviously new, and need some help.

I live in an apartment (townhouse), and some things have came up missing and cars have been broken into. Where I live, he parking lot is pretty lit up, but somewhat dim. Looking for a simple 1-2 camera unit that will record for maybe a few days, at least overnight. My car would be directly out of my bedroom window, so even a camera inside looking out would do. Car is roughly 50 yards at most away from the building. I am not looking to spend a bunch of money, but want some simple surveillance. Maybe some zoom, and a decent picture.

If you could help me out, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

A few things...since you live in an APT you are limited....drilling into the exterior of the building might make management unhappy w/ you. but this will generally give a better image than through a window.

Night shots are the hardest to capture, and I assume this is what you are trying to achieve. I'd suggest an old B&W camera...they do better in low light for less money (other option is a "true day/night camera") since you are running a single camera you could run it off your computer instead of a stand alone DVR.

Or just get a security system for the car w/ pager, and a gun.

You have a few options. A DVR for analog cameras or an NVR for network cameras. If DVR then you can go pc based, usb dvr, or standalone dvr and most come in 4ch min. Ive seen some cheap 1ch USB dvrs and other may exist which allow more channels. If NVR, you can just buy some IP cameras which come with free software and turn your computer into an NVR. Vivotek, Geovision, Mobotix, just to name a few come with free software. You can even use webcams but most dont have auto features to help with sun coming up and going down so settings would have to be constantly changed.

PS - Those that come with free software are professional brands and can cost more. Other brands may be available at more affordable prices. I got a little 1MP cube camera but bad night performance. IR is best for dark environments.