Sign in to follow this  
jasauders

VLC - Network Stream Delay - Fixable, or normal?

I just figured out how to get VLC to play back a live network stream on my cameras. Currently I have 2 cameras for basic indoor usage, and soon I'll be getting a nice outdoor camera for the back of the house. The cameras I have are Trendnet 110WN and Foscam 8918W.

The one thing I noticed is they each have a delay when watching through VLC, which is noticeably slower than the delay that exists in the actual (but terrible) web GUI for each camera. It's about a 3 second delay for both cameras, which nearly doesn't exist in the web GUIs of the actual cameras.

The Trendnet is a wireless N camera, and the Foscam is a wireless G camera. I have a Netgear Wifi N router within decent range. I also hooked up the Foscam to be hard wired and had the exact same results, no speed chance from wifi G to wired 100mbps.

I'm okay with it if it's normal, I'd just like to know if there's a way to speed things up. Does anybody have any insight?

Looks like under "more options" when I select the network stream there's a caching option. It defaults to 1000 ms. I set it to 9000 ms and had literally a 12-15 second delay. I set it to 0 ms and had maybe a full second delay. Not bad.

I'm going to dig around in the preferences a bit. I hope I can default it to 0 ms, unless for some reason I need some degree of caching that I'm not seeing right now??

EDIT - (Done from VLC in Linux, I assume the same is true or at least similar with Win VLC and Mac VLC as well)

VLC - Tools - Preferences - Show Settings "All" - Inputs and Codecs - Scroll down to find "Network Caching". Set to desired speed in ms, save, done. I set mine to 0 ms and now it defaults to 0 ms.

So now I'm just wondering, if I'm watching a live stream, why would I need any sort of caching? Also, despite the fact I knocked about 2 of the 3 seconds delay off, there's still a 1 second delay... VLC is still a tad slower than the live feed coming from the web GUI's for the cameras... is this normal? Or can I adjust this?