Sign in to follow this  
Overthinker

Eyeball camera comparison results

Since many people wanted to see the before and after of the modified eyeball camera I have made this new post. For anyone who is not familiar with the modified eyeball camera please refer to the post "Pimp my eyeball cam"

Although I really do prefer low light video to IR illumination there just are some environments that are too dark for even the most sensitive cameras. Since I wanted to provide a fair comparison I took the modified eyeball camera to a location that has no direct artificial lighting. This way there are no streetlights of unknown type, unknown brightness, and at unknown distances to influence the images.

And since I want other people to be able to see for themselves just how dark it was where I captured the images I also took an image with a DSLR. I used a DSLR because security cameras have no fixed standard of brightness output. Yes, some manufacturers may claim some finite lux ratings but the optimism of product performance varies between manufacturers. DSLR manufacturers calibrate the outputs of their DSLR's by matching sensor output to ISO settings. Any DSLR at a explicit shutter speed and F/stop will produce very closely the same image brightness. White balance and noise levels may vary but the image intensity is very close. This way anyone anywhere in the world can compare their night scene brightness to mine or to anyone else. To compare your night time site brightness to the one used here for testing set your DSLR to ISO 6400,F/3.5,and 30 second shutter speed. DSLR sensors are very linear devices. If your exposure is half as long to make as bright of an image as shown here then your site is twice as bright.

The eyeball camera used for imaging is an exact replica to the camera in the previous post. The only inconsequential changes are that I tapped one of the mounting holes to 1/4-20 and I wire tied the cables for strain relief. I mounted the eyeball camera on a tripod extended to 7 and one half feet to better replicate mounting it on a building. Since I modified this camera to provide better imaging of my backyard I set up the eyeball camera in a large field with a warming house in the distance. The warming house is 55 feet from the camera. Trees run parallel on the right to the warming house and then across the horizontal axis of the image.

The eyeball camera itself was used at its default settings. The images were captured with an 8 channel Dahua DVR at max quality and 14 FPS. I set the camera zoom to 2.8 mm to create the worst case scenario for IR scene coverage. This location had over 4 inches of rain since the beginning of May so the ground vegetation was very green and a good reflector of IR.

DSLRIntensityReference.jpg.42ddb31e0dce18ca8414df5e659385a5.jpg

EyeBallCamAndEmitters.JPG.3abcee92f1177d70929e4fbc5fca854f.JPG

EyeBallCamOnly.JPG.b3e5ce148d8ffe53d59cc353cc810248.JPG

Really cool idea- like it! You could maybe find a bit more powerful IR fixtures though. And if they could be stepped from off to full or even off/on, that would be nice flexibility too, leaving the camera only IR for low level.

This ptz I have has only eight led sockets but puts out immense IR, but I also prefer it off most of the time. To my curb it's about 40' or so. Diagonally to the opposite curb, it's closer to 90'. And to the very back of the center of the image, jeez I don't really know for sure but I'd guess around 150' or more. Rainy night here, sorry for the quality.

IR off

190790_1.jpg

IR mid bright

190790_2.jpg

Full bright

190790_3.jpg

Question- the warming house is warming what? Is that like a green house?

Really cool idea- like it! You could maybe find a bit more powerful IR fixtures though. And if they could be stepped from off to full or even off/on, that would be nice flexibility too, leaving the camera only IR for low level.

Adjustable IR would be really cool. I think though you are missing the fact that the illuminators I am using are lighting up an area that is probably four times what is shown in your PTZ. A PTZ really is not known for wide fields of view. And although fainter, you can still see the trees over the warming house that are at least 150 feet way. Not bad for illuminating a 90+ degree field of view.

I am not sure what the warming house is for I just was told it was a warming house. I like your IR PTZ though. How long have you had it?

If this ptz was setup in the same spot trust me, that whole area would be seriously lit up. This thing never ceases to amaze me. It's been said here many a time- the amount of IR leds doesn't really matter when it comes to how much light will be put out. The better they are, the less you'll need of them. But I think your design is damn slick- makes a much better and more spread out light throw. I've had this ptz up for about a month now I think. I put it in place of a decent fixed camera there with ok IR throw. The problem was- it was a spider magnet in that spot. Every night. With the ptz there now and the ablility to turn the IR off until I need it, I don't have a problem any longer with spiders there. But this camera is much more sensitive in low light so the IR's aren't really need to see in general. I have a like/hate relationship with IR.

Thanks for the pics. Very cool work you did.

Shock,

Yeah I hear you on the spiders. I finally took a pad painter and used it to paint a insecticide circle around the camera. Now that slowed them down. I still get a occasional moth though.

I have seen some of those PTZs with the IR emitters They are using 1 or 3 watt surface mount IR LEDs They were smart though in that they used emitters with different dispersion angles and turn on the emitters that are the most beneficial to the current zoom ratio of the PTZ. Clever!

I have used a PTZ in the front of my garage for about 14 years now. Although nothing like todays models I still find it useful. Mine is only a 21x zoom. But not bad for 1998, What zoom ratio is your PTZ and who makes it if I may ask?

Shock,

I subtracted your IR off image from your IR full image to make a better comparison. Additional light sources can really change your perception of just what is being illuminated by what. This is why I took the eyeball cam to a quite dark place with no additional direct lighting. Overall your PTZ does a really good job. Now I want one. You can still see the center IR hot spot with the IR falling off at the edges of the field. Nothing though I couldn't live with.

ShockSubtract.JPG.31e793c73ca693fd5a584462602e0961.JPG