Sign in to follow this  
Quest The Wordsmith

DIY system for under 1k? Detailed specs...

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Basically hearing that pre-built systems you find on Amazon or Newegg for $400-$500 are junk, I searched the net for "high def" home surveillance systems. I keep coming across the same stuff, so I found this forum and I'm trying my luck.

I'm trying to put together a 4 camera system. These cameras will be outdoors under an eave and in the 40-60 ft range from the target I'd like to be able to see. I need a DVR system that I can also check out online via PC or phone, and I'd like to be able to see things pretty clear. How clear? I guess I dont need to make out license plates, but I would like to be able to recognize a face without putting in an hours worth of guess work. Will standard resolution cams get me there? Night vision is a must (I wanna see what fool lurks close to the house when I sleep!).

I have no problem doing it all myself - wiring, install, etc. From the few things I've read on this forum, it looks like I'd have to purchase separate cameras and a DVR unit. Zoom capabilities are not a must (lets keep cost down!). I have a LCD screen already, so that should help keep costs down. All this in trying to keep the price at $1000. Did I miss anything? Hope I provided enough info to get some specifics. I appreciate everyones help and input in advance!

~Quest~

DVR-

http://q-see.com/products/product_description.php?cId=31&pId=39&id=31&pid=11

You can find one on amazon with a 500gb hard drive in it for 200 bucks.

Cameras-

http://www.gadspot.com/p-357-gs5004.aspx

Four with shipping will be around 380 bucks.

Cables-

http://www.gadspot.com/p-38-bncpower-cut.aspx

Four 100' with shipping around 55 bucks.

Get a short ethernet cable to hook up the dvr to your router. Configure all for remote viewing, and you're off to the races for around 650 bucks and a whole bunch of sweat equity and networking noodling. All the remote settings for this setup will be done within the dvr and your router. Once done, you can access all pictures and internal dvr settings via open ports in your router and can be viewed and adjusted via web application in a browser and/or q-see remote software. And of course, everything can be adjusted right in the dvr as well. And this will give you just fine results provided it's installed well. These suggestions I made are only some of the many ways to go. Lots of choices. Good luck!

yes sir, please take credit for your incredible posts.

Your reviews are the talk of the town.

The haters even mock and drool all over them.

They cannot stop talking of them, they just have to get involved and insert their words of jealousy, no matter how much they claim to dislike it, they really love it, they simply cannot stay away from your reviews, point blank, they love them and cannot live without them - all night they dream about reading another one of Shockwaves reviews, they secretly worship them as its something they only wish they can do themselves, however they have not yet got over the fact that they have no idea how to utilize youtube properly - You sir, are a CCTV king, dont let the lesser intelligent beings put you down.

Signed, a fan.

I appreciate the kind words. But...I can work a video editor. I can make some movies and stuff. I managed to somehow work my way through getting my cctv system up and running. But make no mistake- I'm a cctv rookie. I make my vids and stuff for the other rookies, and I hope along the way I don't spread any major WRONG advice. And if it all adds to the fun of the forum, all the better.

Sincerely,

The rookie who's just trying to add interest round here.

Sir its okay, you are still the best on this forum, simply the best, even better than all the rest ... definitely better than most of the pros, you are still CCTV KING to me, dont let those jealous members get you down, they only dream of being KING like you, dreamers all of them

aIrCFrFpHvw

Sir its okay, you are still the best on this forum, simply the best, even better than all the rest ... definitely better than most of the pros, you are still CCTV KING to me, dont let those jealous members get you down, they only dream of being KING like you, dreamers all of them