ssnapier

What label machine do you prefer for marking CAT-6 and RG-59

I am getting ready to buy a new label maker, our company has been making due with junk for quite a while but I finally got permission to buy a nice one. What brand/ model do you prefer for use in the field? I would prefer to use self laminating type labels and not the heat shrink kind.

I was looking at the Brady BMP-21, but I wanted to put it out there to the masses and see what you might suggest. I hate shopping for stuff like this, so I am hoping you can save me some time too!

^+1 The Rhino units are da $#!t. My co-worker picked up a display-model 5000 for a pretty good price. ADI up here regularly has a deal on where if you buy 10 rolls of label tape, they throw in the labeller for free... of course, the tape costs $20-$30 per roll, but it essentially means you get the whole thing for half price.

We use the brother P touch They make a model with data settings on it. We use the weatherproof rough service tapes. You can also use there other labling tapes (diiferent colors, sizes and transparent tapes for other stuff) when we do a larger job we use Panduit labels that we print by the sheet. Usually if we are running a lot of cables we print up 2 sheets of the same numbers. For the wrap around cable lables. One goes on the outlet end and one on the patch panel end. It really helps keep the numbering in line. Too much time is wasted printing up label by label with the hand printer. The installers also know right away if they have a mismatch so they can get it fixed before everything is off. Years ago one of our guys was writing numbers on the cables and somehow got the same number on four different cables. a major mess when we started to test and put the lables on the faceplates.

Panduit PanTher LS8E hand held printer is pretty awesome. Not cheap though. It's more for telecom guys who will spend an entire day labeling patch cords.