caltech

How do I view my Mobotix D14 remotely when Im not at home

Hi,

I just ordered the following.

6x Mobotix D14 (day mm22/night mm22)

1 Trendnet 24port POE switch

1 Qstore qmx 4x2tb enterprise drives

How can I view my cameras remotely when I'm not at home?

What am I missing? I want to be able to view my cameras from outside computer and ipad/iphone.

I got this app mobotix viewer from eyespyfx for iphone, but i dont know what I need to do to connect my switch to the internet. My router for the internet is in the basement. My cameras cat5 run is in the attic.

Any help will be appricated.

Thanks,

calvin

Calvin, I don't mean to be insulting, so please don't take this the wrong way. I think you should find a professional in your area to help with this. Just doing a quick calculation in my head on what you must have spent for that equipment I think a little more for an experienced professional CCTV installer would be a good way to go.

Having said that, to answer the question directly, my first response would be to run a network cable from the switch to the router. In this case, from the attic to the basement.

Hi GM,

No worries, not offended or insulted.

My local installer is coming tomorrow morning to look over the project.

Yeah, i was afraid i'd have to run cat5 from basement to attic )C=

I was wondering if it can be wireless or some kind of wifi access point to the switch in the attic.

Thx

calvin

Yes, you could go wireless and some other members might recommend that. When it comes to networking I always like to go wired over wireless though. In my opinion it's more stable.

If running a network cable isn't possible then you could go wireless or also consider using powerline network adapters. You'll need 2 of them - one to plug in near the router and the other near the switch. They essentially use the power lines to extend your network. They have their own problems, the main one being distance. The further the data has to travel over the power line, the slower the network speed will be. However when connecting via the Internet the bottleneck is usually the Internet connection, not the local connection. Also, having used them for several years I find they need to be replaced every 3 years or so.

Hi,

We found 2 spare cat5e cable going up to attic so we will use that line to connect from router in basement to switch in the attic and use port forwarding. My only concern is that the attic gets very hot in the summer. Not sure how the switch will handle it. Where do people generally leave the switch?

Calvin

All depends on the environment, layout, where cables can be run, etc. I can tell you that I've personally never put any type of networking equipment in an attic. Heat & accessibility being the main concerns.

Hi. Can I just add some clarity to this.

You say your Cat5 runs from the attic. If it runs from the attic, do you already have a switch there or is this new cat5 just for the cameras? If temperature is your concern then look at an "industrial ethernet" switch which whilst more expensive, will offer the temperature range you need.

Your router being in the basement is fine however to connect the cameras to the internet you need to connect your attic camera switch to the router so simply 1 cat5 cable can do this as you have already found. Remember, depending on distance, you can extend these cables into the basement.

Port forwarding or NAT is exactly right, bear in mind when you set up the http port in the D14 admin menu it will have TWO boxes for http ports. When you choose your new port and put it in the box, put 80 in the second box. This will ensure the camera is still reachable over your LAN without needing to append the IP address with a port (port 80 is assumed to be the standard http port).

You can use a standard browser of choice to view the cameras with NO pluggins, etc however if using a laptop, download MX Control Centre or MX Easy for more functionality.

Shortly MOBOTIX are releasing a fully functional iOS App.

All this said there is nothing better than getting a professional in to configure the cameras exactly. A MOBOTIX CCTV system is a top end quality solution that needs knowledge to setup properly. You have made the initial investment by choosing one of the best systems available today, don't compromise that quality and you overall satisfaction by trying to save a few bucks.

Hope this helps

Thx, I had 6 mobotix d14sec w/m22/m22 lens installed. The night isnt too good. Do i need ir emitters?

I can hardly see anything with street lights. Im using mxeasy 1.5. My side yard is pretty dark, but even on my drive way and front yard where there are some light, i cant see anything.

calvin

Thx, I had 6 mobotix d14sec w/m22/m22 lens installed. The night isnt too good. Do i need ir emitters?

I can hardly see anything with street lights. Im using mxeasy 1.5. My side yard is pretty dark, but even on my drive way and front yard where there are some light, i cant see anything.

calvin

IR is always good if you've got a camera that can't deal with low light well.. I just bought some Raytec Vario I2's to help mine but haven't installed them yet (just came yesterday). They're really small -- about the size (or a bit smaller than) a box of pop tarts..