Inn3rL

Replacing a Internal HD on a 8ch stand-alone DVR

Hey all

I was just looking for some advice on replacing the internal HD on the above mentioned DVR, I have no problems with computers and consoles etc but I have never had to do this with a DVR before and the main things I want to check before I go ahead and buy a replacement is:

- Is the HD I'm choosing is compatible

- If I buy the HD blank is there anything I need to do or pre install to get it up and running prior to connecting it

I've done some googling' but I came up a bit dry on the information I was looking for

Thanks in advance for your help also if you need any additional information about the DVR or HD let me know and I'll get it

DVR Model: 8ch stand-alone DVR

HD Model: HDS722516VLAT80

Capacity: 164.7GB

Yeah its not being picked up by the DVR and the replacement I'm looking at is identical except for it being a 250GB instead of a 160GB.

My issue is there is no clear make or model on the DVR apart from that sticker info on my other post so its made it hard to track down a user guide to see if i need to do anything before connecting the HD or to I connect it and set it up from the menu. I'll checkout that link though.

Thanks

It shouldn't be too much of an issue for you. Especially if the other one is dead. I've never had a big issue switching out a hard drive unless the SATA connections were messed up. Either way, good luck. I'm sure it'll go fine.

Oh and props to Soundy below me for remembering it's IDE.

Edited by Guest

Just keep in mind that the original drive is IDE, not SATA, so make sure to get an appropriate replacement (they're getting harder to find).

The original and replacement were IDE/ATA and popped it in the DVR and it worked, just like that Thanks for your help

Dude.. If you have an 8-channel stand alone DVR unit.. you should be using much more than a 250 Gig hard drive for it, much less a 164.7 gig hard drive.

Dude.. If you have an 8-channel stand alone DVR unit.. you should be using much more than a 250 Gig hard drive for it, much less a 164.7 gig hard drive.

Selective reading: the 160 was the original drive. He already replaced it with a 250. Given that the DVR uses IDE drives, he wouldn't have a lot of selection any more anyway, and nothing over 500GB.