hawkeye

Remote monitoring

Hey guys,

I am new here so I can't post a thread of my own. I couldn't find another thread more relevant to my question. My apologies to the OP for stealing the attention, but I have a question I got to ask all the experts who have commented on the subject. I am helping my cousin with his shop. We've set up a video surveillance system that claims to work great, but I need a 24 X 7 video surveillance service set up for him.

Recently, I got a call from someone who said he can get me a dedicated person to monitor all 4 cameras we've set up for just $99 a month. He also mentioned that his staff was located overseas. I was wondering if there is any law against outsourcing this kind of work to overseas. So I wonder if it is legal to work with this guy or if it makes sense to go with someone local.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and regards,

JC

I am new here so I can't post a thread of my own.

Yes you can.

Recently, I got a call from someone who said he can get me a dedicated person to monitor all 4 cameras we've set up for just $99 a month. He also mentioned that his staff was located overseas. I was wondering if there is any law against outsourcing this kind of work to overseas. So I wonder if it is legal to work with this guy or if it makes sense to go with someone local.

Hard to say what the law is without knowing where you are and where the outsourcing is - if it's India, I'd say probably no problem... if you're in the US and you're outsourcing monitoring to Syria or something, then there might be a problem.

A bigger problem will be the amount of bandwidth you'll need on the site to be sending that video 24/7 - it will need to be a fast enough connection to provide smooth video, and have high enough monthly limits so you don't exceed your caps.