bedece

Infrared illuminators and IR cameras

Hi

My company does video monitoring in industrial settings. Some of our customers don't have adequate lighting to use day/night cameras so we have resorted to using IR cameras.

We have a requirement to 'see' large spaces and to distinguish a human being from other types of objects (e.g. a cat). I need to llight up 50M - 100M, but want to also have wide angle views.

We have tried cameras with IR inbuilt, but have found the IR to be ineffective or too limiting. So I want to use IR illuminators in the area of interest and mount the camera elsewhere overlooking the scene.

My question is: Can you use IR illuminators like flood lights? Can you light up an area and mount the camera away where it suits you. I use only ex-view CCD cameras - can I use any type of camera and lens?

Can't wait to here the collective wisdom out there.

Bede

illuminators work but you need to run a seperate power line for them. Floods? never used them..........................illunimators, good ones, cost a good penny so be prepared to spend in excess of 500 each for a low end and 1500 and higher for the "sweet" type.

I suggest looking at installing motion lighting. cost and maintenance will be cheaper.

any type camera/lense. no, you need to go with a low light, high res. not all camera's "see" ir.

These are Infrared that flood the area. Installation has to be done right, cable and power supplies or they will fry. Also not cheap, but they work. Contact them for exact specs or let us know. With the UF500 you would change the bulb approx every 2 years. And like VST said, not all cameras are made the same, so you would need to look at what cameras you will be using. Extreme also has cameras that are enhanced for their Infrared.

Basically when its Infrared, and you are talking flooding an area, its not going to be cheap, and cheap cameras generally wont work well.

http://www.extremecctv.com/products/index.cfm?img=6

http://www.extremecctv.com/products/index.cfm?img=64

http://www.extremecctv.com/products/index.cfm?img=28

http://www.extremecctv.com/products/index.cfm?img=103

Here is an example of the UF500 Beam:

beampattern2.GIF

Edited by Guest

Hey bedece,

There are a wide range of Infra Red illuminators in the global market place, and whilst quality and costs vary enormously, they are all ultimately intended to do the same thing, but in varying degrees (excuse the pun).

If you are monitoring industrial locations, the first option is low level maintained visible lighting. As VST_Man has suggested, a good second option might be triggered visible lighting, although both of these options may be less than ideal if there are neighbouring residential properties.

The correct way to use Infra Red would be as you suggested, to concentrate on illuminating the area under observation, which is not necessarily the same as strapping the IR lamps to the camera itself. The further away the illuminator, the greater the light output required to produce a useable picture.

If you have a preferred camera (colour only cameras excluded), you will need to look at the spectral response, to see how sensitive the CCD imager is at different IR frequencies. Most commercial premises will use 715nM > 850nM filters on the lamps, and most IR sensitive cameras will require about 1.5x > 2x more light output at 830nM than 715nM, just to get the equivalent level of illumination to produce a similar quality of picture.

If you need completely covert, then between 900Nm > 1000nM will do it, but very few cameras have decent sensitivity at these frequencies to allow anything more than short range monitoring.

Incidentally, whatever lamp you use, you will need to set up the lens for a degree of "focus shift" between daylight and the higher IR frequencies, unless you go for more expensive IR corrected optics.

I have to agree with the above postings (why am I posting then I hear you ask? Hermy won't let me into the Dealer section until I contribute more ):

Extreme makes an excellent range of IR light lamps, the UF500 is used all around the world and using two of these together will leave you with a result nothing short of incredible, the lower voltage UF100 will work well over shorter distances, you are going to need deep pockets to purchase these lamps and they will need to be replaced therefore it is sometimes better to put in motion activated lighting.

When using IR light be sure your camera can remove the IR filter to allow for this range of light and make sure that you use IR corrected lenses that allow not only this light to pass, but allow for a shift in focus when this wavelength is introduced.

As for the areas you want to cover, think of these lamps as cameras, you can put lenses on them to make it wider or longer and there are many to choose from, you will also have to consider if you want the more powerfull "red glow" or the invisable and less powerfull option.

In my opinion Panasonic and Bosch make the best of the removable IR Filter cameras and both sell IR corrected lenses.

I used a Sanyo day night with mech cut f ilter in the above images, though it broke off track the first week when the IR was driving it mad, i managed to fix it, been working 4 years now ..

The GE Day Night Exview Box camera also has Spectral Resonse to 1100nm, have 1 of those and a Pano Day Night to try, just the client never got the money to finish the job yet and I cant get him to let me take them home, yet ;-(

Now though I typically sell the EX14 or 27 MX from Extreme for Day Night, and also looking at the Acti MPEG4 Day Night IP camera which has some great specs, in the new EX20 Housing. And I also offer the Pano for a Day Night in Box and Dome, though Extreme Day Night domes arent much more, they dont have WD day nights.

Selecting the proper camera is only 1/2 the issue. What kind of lens will you use? And how fast the lenes?

I have installed Sony Day/nights with a 3x8 F1.0 lens next to an Extreme EX-82 twin cam with IR illumination, and the Sony provides an equal picture at night for 1/2 the cost. Use a F1.4 on that Sony and the night picture will suck.

Yes but the Sony wont see in Pitch dark up to 100' guaranteed. The EX82 is a Day Night Infrared Camera, its designed for applications which require great color in the day time, and a view in pitch dark at night.

For a Day Night Camera in the Extreme Range you would select the EX27MX or EX14MX. You can then add the UF500's to flood the area if you wish.

Thanks for your replies - extremely helpful. I will tell you all about the successes & failures as we go! Questions have been answered.

I look forward to offering others some helpful advice about a topic I know lots about in the future.

bedece

Rory,

Yes that is true the installation I referenced did have some outdoor flood lighting which was enought to light up the Sonys. Not many installations are pitch dark at night however.

I'm not knocking Extremes, I love to install them whenever the client has the budget, which is not often.

Have you noticed, at least on the EX82s, then need their own transformer/power supply?

I first powered them off the Altronix power supply with the Sonys and the EX82's picture was screwed up, and it wasn't ground fault. When connected to a wall trasformer the EX82's work fine. I see Extreme later added in their documentation that EX82's require isolation transformers.

I use Altronix Multi Power Supplies for them, you just need alot of amps.

I dont use them that much either

I prefer the EX14MX though as all in one design, and corosion resistant housing.