ljarrald

IR filter?

i have upgraded the internals of one of these cheap 'eyeball cameras' because the old lens was varifocal but not auto iris and the sensor chip was rubbish!

the camera now has an auto iris varifocal lens with a good quality sensor chip

BUT

the IR LEDs prove to be useless with this sensor chip. i know that the lens should have an IR cut filter, but it doesn't.

i have had a look on the sensor chip and infront of the sensor is some blue glass. if i remove this, will the camera be able to 'see' ir?

other than a different sensor chip, my next best option is to replace the IR leds with white ones :/

192049_1.jpg

i have had a look on the sensor chip and infront of the sensor is some blue glass. if i remove this, will the camera be able to 'see' ir?

Yes, that should work since the filter is blocking IR light from geting to the sensor; but then, if you remove the filter, the colors the camera will see during the day will be a little bit unreal, since it will also be catching IR from sunlight.

Yes, that should work since the filter is blocking IR light from geting to the sensor; but then, if you remove the filter, the colors the camera will see during the day will be a little bit unreal, since it will also be catching IR from sunlight.

hrm, i feared that may be the problem, i guess thats why the old camera saw things like leaves as purple :/

the camera will be in a shelter infront of the door so shouldn't get too much sunlight.

but do you think it would be better to leave it on?

192054_1.jpg

[edit]

that screenshot is from the current camera, not the one i've modified.