Gesualdo

Digital camera to Analog recorder?

Help Please.

I need to replace a camera for now and the system later. Is it possible to convert a digital camera image to analog wire and recorder? If so what do I need? I have siamese rg59 to the camera so changing the power plug at the camera end can be done but changing the video stream is the problem. Is there a device to do this. Should I convert at the DVR end?

Gesualdo

What sort of "digital" camera are you thinking of? Most analog-output cameras are "digital" internally, at least in part.

Thanks for responding and sorry for not getting back sooner. I need to replace a camera and wanted to update with a megapixel camera or hybrid? output camera. Everything I see is IP. It would replace an EX82. I was looking at Arecont but am open to anything reasonable. I posted in the camera forum last week.

Gesualdo

There are a few devices on the market that will convert an IP camera's output back to analog, and even a few IP cameras with analog outputs... the problem is, analog video is still limited to 480-ish TVL and a max of 720x480 record resolution. An analog DVR input will not be able to record the full resolution of that camera no matter what you do. So basically you'd be spending all that extra money and gaining nothing from it.

If you want a megapixel camera, and you want to record it at full quality, then you need either IP or SDI. IP is by far the most common and cost-effective, but either will require either a separate recorder, or replacing your recorder with a hybrid that will accept both types of signal (analog and whichever digital format you use).

The one option without substantially changing your current setup would be something that can record internally, and has an analog output that you can record to your existing DVR. This would allow you to record (in low resolution), monitor, and search the video on your DVR, while having a high-res version stored in the camera that you can view over the network via the web browser or client software.

Thank you again, I am looking to update the DVR also but not immediately if I can help it. Which is why I was asking for a solution. I figure I would loose most of the improvement until the DVR update. Would you be able to direct me to specific cameras for option 2 and 3 and Hybrid DVR's as I eventually update the whole system and trying to not run new cabling. Either openly or through PM

Thanks.

Gesualdo

You don't HAVE to run new cabling, you CAN run network over the existing coax, but it will require ethernet-over-coax adapters, which start at about $100/set and go up rapidly from there. Unless it's impossible to run new Cat5e, it's probably not worth going that way.

The 2MP dome in the ad at the left side of the page is a good start, supporting internal recording to micro-SD card, but it doesn't have an analog output, so you wouldn't be able to patch it into your existing DVR; however, it can record to PC using the included software (it's not a true NVR solution, but it works on a limited basis). They also have a 3MP box cam that does have analog output, as well as built-in WiFi, but it's twice the price and requires a lens (at extra cost).

Ok, Sounds like I'll have to update the works, which is going to have to wait awhile. I guess I now need a good non-IP bullet camera. I'm replacing an ex82 camera any suggestions?

DVTeL has IP cameras with a coax output. Not sure how many systems they are compatible with though, might be a bad choice for you.

We typically use these types of cameras to output to a live view TV, while using the IP side to send the stream back to an NVR for recording, so they aren't uncommon... just have to look around. I don't think Arecont is a good option.