groovyman

Can anyone recommend one of those hidden Pen Cameras?

I had a request today for a hidden pen camera - something that can be put in a shirt pocket and can record audio & video at the press of a button.

I can certainly google the term pen camera and get a ton of results, but I don't have any experience with this type of product, don't trust reviews and would rather purchase something via a recommendation from someone who knows about these devices.

Background story for those interested:

The person who wants this works in a retail store & has been getting customer complaints lately. I know the guy and this is very unusual. He feels it's retribution from an ex-coworker who was recently fired and is sending people to the store to give him a hard time then register complaints with the owner.

There's video surveillance in the store, but no audio. He's not concerned about the legalities - he just wants the ability to start recording when one of these "customers" starts to hassle him so he can defend himself against the accusations.

I've tried a couple of inexpensive ones from DealExtreme with pretty mixed results. Terrible sound quality is a common problem, and they don't handle motion well, but that wouldn't matter for your use.

If I wanted to buy one for more than playing with, I'd go to Amazon and read the reviews on them, then pick the one that sounded best for the budget.

Thanks MaxIcon.

I really don't trust most of the reviews that I read on shopping websites. You really never know who's behind them, both positive and negative.

Anyway, this is another case of taking action after a situation has happened. The employee hasn't had any issues since the last one a couple of weeks ago. I guess the ex-employee ran out of friends to do his bidding The owner believed the current employee as he really is a good a guy and the complaints against him just didn't make sense.

I trust Amazon reviews with some caveats. A highly popular item is likely to have a lot of quality reviews. I totally trust Amazon, btw. I've seen some products with horrendous reviews, and I've not ever witnessed behavior of Amazon manipulating reviews. I've personally reviewed 200+ products on the site.

Some other items, particularly those sold by third party sellers, may be lacking in reviews and/or appear to be padded by company shills. So the problem isn't Amazon, it's their reviewers.

Unfortunately, cameras like a pen camera are dead on in that territory. You can go to Amazon and you will not find one well reviewed. If it is well reviewed it's probably nonsense; click on the reviewers' "other reviews" and often there aren't any.

Pen cameras seem to me to be like dash cams: there are few good ones and the market is mainly saturated with cheap garbage that isn't worth a penny. At least with dash cams you've got 95% cheap worthless trash and then 5% that's good--and you'll pay through the nose for it. Not a ton of middle room necessarily.