Mavrik

Lens is a dirt magnet

I have one of those CNB monalisa dome cameras and the dome is a dust magnet, the view is obstructed in an hour or two. Is there some cleaner that will 'demagnetize' the dome.

Suzo-Happ Plexi-Clean. This stuff is amazing. It's in a black and red aerosol can. It's anti-static. It works good for cleaning cell phones too!

Personally I don't like the idea of any cleaning formula. I've used a slightly damp soft cloth but the best thing I use now is the eye glass glass cleaning cloth you get with glasses. Very soft and of course it's made for cleaning delicate surfaces. A quick dry wipe is all it takes. If your camera is outdoors you're probably getting tree pollen on the dome, which is really bad right now. It will calm down but for the moment, it's all but impossible to keep up with- even on car windshields.

Personally I don't like the idea of any cleaning formula.

the idea with something like Plexi-Clean is that the antistatic properties help prevent the dust buildup in the first place - better to not have to wipe it at all (or at least, much less frequently).

You got me thinking about antistatic sprays, so I looked on the web for homemade. Found a tablespoon of fabric softer in a cup a water works like a champ.

Well good to get you thinking! Yes it is best to not have to ever clean it, but sometimes you must! If you use a micro-fiber cloth or a Kim-wipe, with any sort of anti-static cleaner, you are protecting your investments.

I have over 500 cameras at my property and the ones that get the most exposure to cigarette smoke are cleaned most often, always with the anti-static spray. That spray leaves no streaking residue and are able to withstand the cigarette smoke longer than if I were to use industrial glass cleaner.

Some manufacturers such as ICI make polycarbonate cleaners that are specially formulated to clean and maintain the surface of polycarbonate without scratching. They do have anti static properties but of course weather conditions very quickly disperse those.

Personally, I use a water spray (with de-ionised water) and a clean a microfiber cloth reserved for the purpose, I store the ASC in an anti-static bag too. It seems to work well enough. It is important never to use fabric conditioner in the was when washing microfiber cloths as the conditioned ruins the properties of the microfiber. I find pollen is more problematic than actual road dust.

Not sure I understand the comment about de-magnetising, unless you are referring to static dust attraction ?

Gotta go the Queen's Diamond Jubilee pageant is back on the TV.