Tibbu

watching cameras without dydns

Hi friends,

I have a 8channel DVR installed at my home and i am watching cameras using dydns service.

I have my own website and i am willing to see my cameras with my own website extension like cctv.mywwebsite.com instead of cctv.dydns.org

Please guide me ho can i setup all this.

thank you

Go to your website registrar and add a new A record for "cctv.mywebsite.com" pointing to your home IP address.

Dear sir,

Thank you so much for reply its looking very easy

I will do this and reply with results.

Thank you

Tibbu

Residential customers on most if not all of our local broadband ISPs can get a static IP just by asking - extra $10/mo.

An account at dyn.com cost $20 year. I know - free is better than cheap - but with having the paid account you can use your own domain with it and not have to be concerned about the IP address changing.

And with a static IP, you NEVER have to worry about changes not getting propagated, or a forced change dropping your connection. I had one customer a few years ago, his DSL ISP forced an IP change every hour... and his DDNS took anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes for the changes to filter down to his ISP. So if he tried to connect within that window, it would fail. He put up with it for about two weeks, then ordered the static IP: $35/mo. extra for his business line.

Granted that's an extreme, but it happens. I've been using EasyDNS for the registrar for our company website for years; they have their own DDNS service, so I can pop a utility like DynSite on a customer's system, and give them an IP for remote access, like "customername.lps-cctv.com". There have been times though, when one issue or another has meant the DDNS doesn't get updated - a communication failure for DynSite, or someone on-site has closed that service, or whatever.

Free/cheap workarounds are great when they work... but are not always ideal.

I understand why there are exceptions and good reasons why someone would want to pay for a static ip or even a dyn account. Thus far only needing one free address from dyndns, I can only say that for over a year there has never been a single glitch or wait time for the forward outside of maybe five seconds. If there is a best, so far my experience is dyndns. If I ever need more addresses though, I'll have to look to something else such as that no ip site or the free site q-see uses. Or maybe just keep getting free addresses from dyndns by making up different accounts as needed.

Go to your website registrar and add a new A record for "cctv.mywebsite.com" pointing to your home IP address.

An even simpler option, and one that follows your IP address changes is to add a CNAME record. What this does is create a pretty name (an alias really) that points to your ugly name at dyndns.org. This way, DynDNS handles keeping your IP up to date, and the alias just follows along.

I don't know what system your DNS is on, but the resulting record should look like:

cctv.mywwebsite.com. CNAME IN 600 cctv.dydns.org.

The "600" tells DNS servers to cache this entry for a maximum of 600 seconds, or 5 minutes.

Dyndns actually gives you 1 free ddns if you quit the trial offer. But I think they send you an email every now and then so you can let them your your dns is still active.