Razer_SE

Need suggestions - IP cam for install like an ATM machine?

Question for you all. I have a need for a camera that will be installed in a Kiosk and look out at the user, like how ATM cameras work. Currently they are using analog cameras and want to be able to switch to IP so my IP only DVRs can record the video, plus I want the quality of at least a megapixel.

It would have to be very small though. Anyone know where to start looking for a camera for this type of use?

While a truly awesome solution, the cost is too high for my needs. I wish there was an M24 version. The locations are well lit at the kiosk so there is no need for a night mode. Still, that is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, thank you for the link thewireguys!

I do see some people selling the devkit that is apparently just parts, but nothing appears to really get much cheaper.

I have just found the Arecont Compact series, at 3 inches wide, 2.5 high and only 1.25 deep it mat be about as small as I can expect. IQinvision has the 5 series which seems close, but they may have discontinued it as it is not on their site at all now, the places you find it link back to the home page. Going to read reviews on the Arecont ones now.

The Mobotix does need both sensors, one for day, one for night as they don't have IR cut filters in their cameras. If you have the room, any small camera will work. Check out the AVTech AVN80X, it has SD card storage, works well in low light and is quite small. Also, what's a very nice smallish camera that works really well at night, 720P resolution is the Axis M1114 (I have reviews on my blog).

Keep in mind that analog cameras do better in low light than most IP cameras, so make sure you get a camera that works well at night and you have brighter lighting at the kiosk at night.

You might find the current range of IP cameras a bit limiting. An analogue pinhole camera with IP encoder is the way I'd go too. Up close you aren't going to get significant benefit from IP over an high-res analogue camera. It should have a wide dynamic range (WDR) and be good in low light as in this situation the subject tends to create a light block and if you don't get the right functions, you could find the camera is great at creating silhouettes.

I actually had not thought of using an encoder at all, that would work great for about 45 of my kiosk locations as they are outputting analog already. Only issue there is that I have hybrid DVRs at these locations.

The new locations I'm working on now currently are using basically a webcam, it is usb out only and records via the kiosk software. No way I know of to make those work. These locations are the ones I need most as my DVR is IP only, no way to connect analog. If I use the same camera as my other locations it outputs analog and USB though, then I could use an encoder. Have to see how that could work.

Lighting is really not an issue, I can install whatever I need for lighting and the locations are like a phone booth for lack of a better mental image. It has a roof and three walls, only open at the front where you enter. We can install light right overhead, and the distance we need it to work at is only about 2-3 feet. Plus you have the 15" screen a couple of inches below lighting up the faces.

I actually had not thought of using an encoder at all, that would work great for about 45 of my kiosk locations as they are outputting analog already. Only issue there is that I have hybrid DVRs at these locations.

Well, as long as the DVR supports the encoder, that would work too, but it would be kind of redundant with a hybrid.