groovyman

I wonder how this will affect CCTV - 7Gbps wireless

I was just reading an article over at ars technica:

7Gbps wireless transfers and streaming, no router required

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/06/7gbps-wireless-transfers-and-streaming-no-router-required/

"The WiFi Alliance is working on a program called Miracast that will negotiate connections between devices for streaming media without the need for a pre-existing WiFi network or wireless router. Miracast is initially designed for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands but could conceivably run over the 60GHz band in the future."

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how it will affect CCTV. I know today's wireless offerings aren't so great, but I'm thinking it will only get better as the technology improves.

Range and reliability are the biggest limitations with wireless for CCTV right now, not speed.

speaking of speed, someday super fast internet speed will be the norm and saving ip camera feeds to the cloud will be common, and then we will look back at these days and laugh and remember how limited we were by slow internet speeds. Hopefully in two years or so,

speaking of speed, someday super fast internet speed will be the norm and saving ip camera feeds to the cloud will be common, and then we will look back at these days and laugh and remember how limited we were by slow internet speeds. Hopefully in two years or so,

Since you mentioned it:

Verizon doubles FiOS speeds to 300Mbps

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/faster-than-your-router-verizon-doubles-fios-speeds-to-300mbps/

In my area Comcast has been upgrading the network. 100Mbps download 10Mbps upload is available in certain locations. Cost a couple hundred per month though.

Can't speak to the timeline, but you're right. DropcamHD already does this for all its users--literally everything is streamed up to their servers.

As time goes on cameras will either drop in price or get much better (or both); a $100 camera will have a multi-megapixel clear image and be wireless and reliable

Now they just need to get the wireless 12 volts at 100 feet working correctly!

Kinda reminds me of the kid at the auto parts store asking me if I want lifetime brake pads. I told him "Sure. As long as I can buy lifetime rotors to go with them." I usually receive a funny look as the kid doesn't get the joke...