thx123a

Questions on PTZ Camera Modules?

Hello,

Recently I have been testing out different PTZ analog camera setups and I have been curious about the camera modules that are inside most of them.

For example a few weeks ago I bought a cheap brand name PTZ analog camera and it was just that, you get what you pay for I suppose. The video quality was so bad that even the rep couldn't argue about returning it.

I was trying to find out if the camera module inside these units could be replaced with another camera module(better image quality at least) and though they told me that I could do that, they only said that I could use one of the standard Sony camera modules, and would not give a few model numbers to work with, which of course led me to googling anything and everything I could find out, talk about spending you days and nights quickly.

Since then I have gotten a few more PTZ analog cameras in and even through the manuals are funny as hell to read, only some of them will tell you which camera modules will work with the camera, BUT they don't tell you which camera module is currently installed. My conclusion is that I would have to open one up and hope that there is a model number or something that will tell me if it was made by Sony or some other brand.

So I am wondering, with all these made in China PTZ cameras, where the hec does one purchase these modules, depending on the brand, or is it that the end user commonly cannot purchase directly?

The list of camera models I am have gotten 'some' information on are:

SONY - sony 480, sony 490, sony 980, sony 990, sony 1000, sony 1010

SANYO - sanyo md600, sanyo md800

lg 16, lg 27, kpc-18, lg lm-922, lg lm-923, lg lm-927, cnb m2260, cnb m2360, cnb m2760, cnb 21Z22, cnb 21z27

HITACHI - vk214, vk274, vk454, vk858, vk654, vk888

SANYO - sdm-230, sdm-335, sdm-375, scm-2231, scm-2251, scm-2271, scm-2301

wx-22, wx-23, wx-27, wx-30, mjz-22, mjz-27, mjz-30, ss-803, ss-823, ss-922, ls-22, xf-27

The list probably goes on for days, but you get the idea, what I want is to one find a source to purchase these camera modules(at least the ones that are not garbage).

I understand I need to know what I am looking for, which is so far 27x optical zoom, at least 600tvl, and IR

Does anyone know which ones are the more common ones used ?

I appreciate any ideas/feedback

Thanks

The kinds of modules I am talking about look like the pic attached, i've noticed that most of these outdoor ptz setups can use different camera modules.

camera_module.jpg.6a0d857d0eaf8bb15db55a9173e89cfa.jpg

TLS Electronics / Time Lapse Supply - http://www.tlselectronics.com/.

Look in the PTZ parts lists for various PTZ manufacturers. Typical price for the camera is $250 for color. A bit less for B/W. They carry most of the Hitachi camera heads. The Pelco parts section alone lists 18 different camera heads http://www.tlselectronics.com/dcparts_pelco2.shtml). Keep in mind if you are swapping in a different camera head from the original, you may have to also replace/upgrade the PTZ's firmware - not always do-able.

TLS Electronics / Time Lapse Supply - http://www.tlselectronics.com/.

Look in the PTZ parts lists for various PTZ manufacturers. Typical price for the camera is $250 for color. A bit less for B/W. They carry most of the Hitachi camera heads. The Pelco parts section alone lists 18 different camera heads http://www.tlselectronics.com/dcparts_pelco2.shtml). Keep in mind if you are swapping in a different camera head from the original, you may have to also replace/upgrade the PTZ's firmware - not always do-able.

This is great, thank you!

The PTZ setups I have came with a listing of different camera modules that worked with each one.

Thanks again

Hello,

Recently I have been testing out different PTZ analog camera setups and I have been curious about the camera modules that are inside most of them.

For example a few weeks ago I bought a cheap brand name PTZ analog camera and it was just that, you get what you pay for I suppose. The video quality was so bad that even the rep couldn't argue about returning it.

I was trying to find out if the camera module inside these units could be replaced with another camera module(better image quality at least) and though they told me that I could do that, they only said that I could use one of the standard Sony camera modules, and would not give a few model numbers to work with, which of course led me to googling anything and everything I could find out, talk about spending you days and nights quickly.

Since then I have gotten a few more PTZ analog cameras in and even through the manuals are funny as hell to read, only some of them will tell you which camera modules will work with the camera, BUT they don't tell you which camera module is currently installed. My conclusion is that I would have to open one up and hope that there is a model number or something that will tell me if it was made by Sony or some other brand.

So I am wondering, with all these made in China PTZ cameras, where the hec does one purchase these modules, depending on the brand, or is it that the end user commonly cannot purchase directly?

The list of camera models I am have gotten 'some' information on are:

SONY - sony 480, sony 490, sony 980, sony 990, sony 1000, sony 1010

SANYO - sanyo md600, sanyo md800

lg 16, lg 27, kpc-18, lg lm-922, lg lm-923, lg lm-927, cnb m2260, cnb m2360, cnb m2760, cnb 21Z22, cnb 21z27

HITACHI - vk214, vk274, vk454, vk858, vk654, vk888

SANYO - sdm-230, sdm-335, sdm-375, scm-2231, scm-2251, scm-2271, scm-2301

wx-22, wx-23, wx-27, wx-30, mjz-22, mjz-27, mjz-30, ss-803, ss-823, ss-922, ls-22, xf-27

The list probably goes on for days, but you get the idea, what I want is to one find a source to purchase these camera modules(at least the ones that are not garbage).

I understand I need to know what I am looking for, which is so far 27x optical zoom, at least 600tvl, and IR

Does anyone know which ones are the more common ones used ?

I appreciate any ideas/feedback

Thanks

Hello,

I don't know if you want to replace the zoom module yourself. That's like replacing a car engine.

Besides the physical differences (mounting holes, module size, etc), there's a whole lot of tuning and programming involved to use the zoom module properly from the camera's control board. The protocol may be different, if the protocol is the same, then the mechanics are completely different from one zoom module to another (zoom ratio, voltage, etc).

By the time you're done researching, replacing and reprogramming and updating the camera's firmware - that is if you are able to change the source codes around - wouldn't it be cheaper to get a good PTZ camera?

Don't be fooled by anyone who claims to have the Sony module. Any module can have a Sony CCD and people just call that a Sony module. Request for the authentic sony module part number. Also, the warranty from Sony for these zoom module is ONLY 3 months.

Here's a list of few manufacturers that you may want to consider if you're still willing to venture :

Sony - first choice

Hitachi - first choice

Sanyo - second choice

Samsung - second choice

LG - second choice

CNB - third choice

and then many others from China and Taiwan - I wouldn't touch these.

Lastly... Do you really want to do this? Even if you are able to replace the module and have it work flawlessly, there are still many other factors involved - preset accuracy & consistency, compatibility, reliability... that will eventually wear and tear and break down on you - something a budget PTZ camera will definitely fail over time...

Anyways, good luck to you.

I don't know if you want to replace the zoom module yourself. That's like replacing a car engine.

Besides the physical differences (mounting holes, module size, etc), there's a whole lot of tuning and programming involved to use the zoom module properly from the camera's control board. The protocol may be different, if the protocol is the same, then the mechanics are completely different from one zoom module to another (zoom ratio, voltage, etc).

By the time you're done researching, replacing and reprogramming and updating the camera's firmware - that is if you are able to change the source codes around - wouldn't it be cheaper to get a good PTZ camera?

Don't be fooled by anyone who claims to have the Sony module. Any module can have a Sony CCD and people just call that a Sony module. Request for the authentic sony module part number. Also, the warranty from Sony for these zoom module is ONLY 3 months.

Here's a list of few manufacturers that you may want to consider if you're still willing to venture :

Sony - first choice

Hitachi - first choice

Sanyo - second choice

Samsung - second choice

LG - second choice

CNB - third choice

Lastly... Do you really want to do this? Even if you are able to replace the module and have it work flawlessly, there are still many other factors involved - preset accuracy & consistency, compatibility, reliability... that will eventually wear and tear and break down on you - something a budget PTZ camera will definitely fail over time...

????????

If you replace like-for-like camera modules, it is simple as pie - same mounting holes, same firmware, etc. Also, most brand-for-brand replacement modules utilize the same mounting; just swap a couple of brackets. And if you decide to get a different model of camera module, we've found that Time Lapse Supply will tell you which modules are compatible and, if firmware updates are required, can supply them too.

Except for the oddball PTZs, repair is a snap for anyone with a few technical skills. Other than replacing cameras, most of the rest of the repairs are even simpler. PC Boards are typically easy to change, mechanical parts not too difficult, etc. and the savings can be substantial. For instance, a Pelco Spectra IV SL 23x in-ceiling mount indoor dome will set you back $1,100.00 or more. The cost to repair a Spectra III dome drive is rarely more than 1/3 of that. Big difference!

Sony - first choice

Hitachi - first choice

Sanyo - second choice

Samsung - second choice

LG - second choice

CNB - third choice

????????

If you replace like-for-like camera modules, it is simple as pie - same mounting holes, same firmware, etc. Also, most brand-for-brand replacement modules utilize the same mounting; just swap a couple of brackets. And if you decide to get a different model of camera module, we've found that Time Lapse Supply will tell you which modules are compatible and, if firmware updates are required, can supply them too.

Except for the oddball PTZs, repair is a snap for anyone with a few technical skills. Other than replacing cameras, most of the rest of the repairs are even simpler. PC Boards are typically easy to change, mechanical parts not too difficult, etc. and the savings can be substantial. For instance, a Pelco Spectra IV SL 23x in-ceiling mount indoor dome will set you back $1,100.00 or more. The cost to repair a Spectra III dome drive is rarely more than 1/3 of that. Big difference!

Read the original post. He wants to upgrade his module. Not replace it with the same module. If swapping a PTZ module was that simple, I'd be assembling these and selling them myself.