pilotg2

Which cable for door/window contacts

Hi guys

I'm have trouble finding the right cable to wire door contacts to a Dahua DVR. It only needs to be 2 core cable, ideally as 'small' as in the picture. I can easily find 4/6/8 core alarm cable, but would like 2 core for a tidy job. Bell cable has been suggested, but it's solid and i'd rather have stranded cable. I'm based in the UK.

193812_1.jpg

I know it's a bit of a lame question, but what cable to you pro guys use? Could i use speaker cable?

My other cable related question is I'm installing a couple door contacts on gates in the garden. As the image below, say i'm running the cable for right to left and fix the contacts on the edge of gate and frame opening. What is best practice to protect the cable from damage when open and closing the gate (by the hinge)?

193812_2.jpg

Thanks

My other cable related question is I'm installing a couple door contacts on gates in the garden. As the image below, say i'm running the cable for right to left and fix the contacts on the edge of gate and frame opening. What is best practice to protect the cable from damage when open and closing the gate (by the hinge)?

193812_2.jpg

Thanks

These are designed specifically for what you're trying to do:

193814_1.jpg

They're called "door loops" - search for that term and you'll find plenty.

Another option would be to dig a small trench along the bottom of the fence; run the wire all the way across and up the far-left post. Mount the contact on that post, and the magnet on the gate. The contact can be near the bottom, it doesn't need to be up high - say, right above the bottom deadbolt.

As far as the wire to use, I'd just go with the standard 22/4 station-Z wire. It's solid-core, but still pretty small and flexible.

If you wanted to get really trick, you could use modular phone cord... that should be available in two-conductor stranded; it's flat, flexible, and it tends to withstand a lot of abuse.

193814_2.jpg

You don't need to wire over the gate, instead just get a flush mount plunger that goes into the post (like the one on your car or fridge).