jasauders

Additional IR light. Advice?

I've had thoughts about purchasing a 2nd IR "flood light" type of light to add to the deck to light it up a little more for my camera to see. I began thinking about the placement of it and couldn't really come up with a solidified idea.

With something like that, are you supposed to fire it in the same direction that the camera is pointing? Or are you better off firing it at the camera? I know I could buy it and find out myself but depending on which way is optimal (if it matters) may dictate upon whether or not I'd have to install a new electrical outlet out there... if that's the case I'd hold off buying one for now until I get some other home renovation projects done. If firing it AT the camera is okay, I can consider it a done deal now.

Thanks guys!

good IR light cost big $$, you better off getting flood lights if it's possible. either way, it should point same direction that the camera is pointing.

With something like that, are you supposed to fire it in the same direction that the camera is pointing? Or are you better off firing it at the camera?

IR with cameras is nothing magical or high-tech - it's just like an LED flashlight, except the LEDs are emitting light near the bottom end of the visible spectrum, rather than white light (the entire visible spectrum), at a wavelength our eyes can't see but camera sensors can.

So now imagine what would happen if you shone a flashlight into your eyes... that's what would happen if you shone an IR illuminator directly into your camera.

If it's at all possible, add exterior lighting rather than IR. Cameras see so much better when an area is covered well with exterior lighting, and that makes for a much improved image. You do have to take care that the camera won't be looking directly at the light and that the light fixture is out of frame. But if it's possible, improve exterior lighting rather than IR. If it must be IR, treat the seconday fixture as you would as second light bulb. Aim it in such a way that it increases the light coverage of the area. Don't just point it exactly where the cameras IR is illuminating. Increase the coverage area as much as you can. You'll know when it's best.