Sign in to follow this  
cavcom

Residential install question for hiding/running cables.

First post..Cool website... I am in the process of adding CCTV installs to my bussiness and will be doing primary upscale residential installs, my question is when you have to drop the cables down on the outside of the house do you put it in conduit for security reasons?

There is no single correct solution to any problem. I say if your reasoning for doing something is justifiable then it's right.

Cables need protection. I usually try to hide them inside a building, but that's not always possible, so then you look

other methods of protecting cables from both the atmosphere and vandals/criminals. PVC conduit is easy to work with

and cheap to buy and looks tidy. You can use the PVC weld adhesive to seal it but wait until the cables are fully run.

Personally I also like metal conduit but it's hard to work if you aren't trained to use it. I recommend 25mm PVC conduit.

Thanks for your respones my first install is my house which will be my demo setup, two story all brick, if im doing conduit its going to be metal I have a friend who will be doing all my conduit work and ill be doing the rest.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your respones my first install is my house which will be my demo setup, two story all brick, if im doing conduit its going to be metal I have a friend who will be doing all my conduit work and ill be doing the rest.

Thanks again.

You'll have a nice easy life then

Congrats on starting to install, I find it a great hobby. Not to mention there is a TON of HONEST charged money to be made in this day-n-age!

Numb-nuts was right, ever system & every camera will be different!

Conduit does look good in some installs, but in some not so much...

Like you dont want conduit running up siding, I tuck it in nice & neat, never see it

I am a firm believer in the only conduit on a house should be the 24" - 36" of stub for a phone/coax demarc... when it comes to everything else it seems like wires can always be fished, may not be easy but it can be done... I know I wouldn't want a stick of pipe running up my wall so I would never put it on someones house... it seems as though "high end homes" and "conduit" don't go together... just my opinion though...

What?

Have you ever traveled to Europe?

Go visit Rome where they build homes out of concrete. How are you going to fish you wires there? They seem like they barely use conduit. I saw wires surface mounted on the outside of prestigious buildings, tourist attractions, etc.

Not everyone builds with frame construction.

I am a firm believer in the only conduit on a house should be the 24" - 36" of stub for a phone/coax demarc... when it comes to everything else it seems like wires can always be fished, may not be easy but it can be done... I know I wouldn't want a stick of pipe running up my wall so I would never put it on someones house... it seems as though "high end homes" and "conduit" don't go together... just my opinion though...