NotSoSimple, is there a recomendation in the manual or from the company as to how to make that weathertight? I wouldn't worry about moisture getting in the wire, but I can see the copper corroding inside the RJ45 connectors. I would have expected a weather tight seals like in the connectors used under the hood of a car. Or are they expecting that you run the connector in the wall and then plug your Ethernet cable into it while indoors?

This is how the Brickcom works using a similar pigtail. As you can see, the connection is made waterproof. Is the Dahua similar?

357482096_brickcomrj45.thumb.jpg.fa091bacbf1dbcea4d84406299d7bacc.jpg

NotSoSimple, is there a recomendation in the manual or from the company as to how to make that weathertight? I wouldn't worry about moisture getting in the wire, but I can see the copper corroding inside the RJ45 connectors. I would have expected a weather tight seals like in the connectors used under the hood of a car. Or are they expecting that you run the connector in the wall and then plug your Ethernet cable into it while indoors?

This is how the Brickcom works using a similar pigtail. As you can see, the connection is made waterproof. Is the Dahua similar?

I have quite a bit of experience with non-weather proof RJ45 connections used in outdoors locations. The best solution I've found yet is to just spray the connection with CorrosionX:

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html

Short of leaving the cables in standing water, this works excellent.

Do you spray the RJ45 jack and plug seperately, or plug them together and spray the outside? Doesn't it get inbetween the connection and interfere? Just asking, don't know.

Interesting stuff dmoore.

Got the cam in. Unfortunately (And fortunately) I think I am going to run conduit and CAT5E out to the garage where the cam will be mounted. This means I wont be able to mount and use it for a couple weeks. Wife has projects she needs done first.

About the connectivity. In the base of the mount is where the wires come out. It has a pigtail about 15" long and then splits for the barrel jack (power) and RJ-45 (network). See below for a pic. So out in the open it would be rather susceptible to the elements. In my case I have enough freedom I think I will recess a single gang box into my sofet and just place the cable connections in there.

The one thing I didn't notice anywhere on the website, videos, etc is when the IR LEDs are activated, it has a red glow to them. So much for being stealth with the camera. Is this normal for IR LEDs?

197866_1.jpg

Did you get a chance to get this installed?

Most IR LEDs do have a visible glow. You can get external illuminators in the non-visible range, but they are expensive and cameras are not as sensitive to that wavelength, so you need a more powerful one.

Can you turn off the LEDs on this camera?

I did and it has been running for a couple weeks. As far as I can tell, no you cannot turn off the glow of the IR LEDs.

My one complaint is the IR Glare off of the hood I have it pointed down and out and between the 'halo' glare from the hood and the 'reflection' from my asphalt driveway the picture quality suffers.

I did and it has been running for a couple weeks. As far as I can tell, no you cannot turn off the glow of the IR LEDs.

My one complaint is the IR Glare off of the hood I have it pointed down and out and between the 'halo' glare from the hood and the 'reflection' from my asphalt driveway the picture quality suffers.

That's about what I expected you would get. I wonder if you can remove the front "glass" and mask off the LEDs (black paint, RTV silicon, liquid electrical tape, etc)