TechMonster

Exterior Camera mounting

I am mounting some external cameras and need a water tight box to put the balun and connections. I been using the Grey water tight boxes from Lowes/Home Depot that was 4x4x2" or 4x4x4" and cutting a notch for the cables to enter and sealing with caulking. But they have been leaking. Not sure if it's the notch side or the factor seal. Most water tight connectors will not work as the BNC end and power ends are much bigger then the cable is and will not seal. What is everyone using? If possible I mount the connectors inside but can not always be done.

Thanks

Travis

You are installing the gray boxes with the black foam insert, right? That is what gives you a water-tight seal from the front side.

Otherwise, the problem sounds like not enough caulk or wrong type of caulk. What are you using?

I am mounting some external cameras and need a water tight box to put the balun and connections. I been using the Grey water tight boxes from Lowes/Home Depot that was 4x4x2" or 4x4x4" and cutting a notch for the cables to enter and sealing with caulking. But they have been leaking. Not sure if it's the notch side or the factor seal. Most water tight connectors will not work as the BNC end and power ends are much bigger then the cable is and will not seal. What is everyone using? If possible I mount the connectors inside but can not always be done.

Thanks

Travis

I'm guessing these are bullet cams... exposed connectors is an inherent issue with almost all bullet designs. My solution: don't use them. I prefer either a dome design where the connections can be made inside the dome, or a box cam in an environmental housing - either lets you bring the wire runs inside through a small opening, a cable gland, etc. and then seal it properly.

For you, though... first thing I'd recommend is to run the cables in through the bottom of the box, then water CAN'T run down them into the box. In fact, you could probably get away without siliconing the opening shut, so if any water DOES get into the housing, it can drain out.