cloudy

best way to focus manual zoom cameras?

im installing my new cameras in a few weeks and 3 of them have manual zooms which need to be focused.

there are only 3 ways i can think of to do this,

1. get a friend to watch monitor while you adjust knob and shout to each other.

2. plug a portable DVD player into the camera leads.

3. use your phone on the local network but there is a 5 second lag making it tricky.

what do other people do?

I take a small netbook up with me and view the camera remotely. The delay isn't a deal breaker. It's mostly the screen you're using and the focus setting you settle on. On this netbook screen, the best focus is obvious but still isn't cystal, all things considered. But at the dvr monitor, crystal clear. So I have found that even remotely you can hit the right focus without too much fuss.

Haier-HLTD7

Soundy, can you take a snapshot of the inputs on this? Looking online and I cannot find the freakin' manual!

Thanks,

Haier-HLTD7

Soundy, can you take a snapshot of the inputs on this? Looking online and I cannot find the freakin' manual!

Thanks,

195901_1.jpg

195901_2.jpg

The TV comes with an A/V cable that splits out to three RCAs (video, and left/right audio), but it's fairly short... I picked up 25' single RCA-to-RCA cable and a pair of right-angle TRSs plug at Radio Shack (keep it lower profile), snipped the cable at about the 8' mark, then soldered the TRS plugs on, so I now have two longer video-only input cables - one 8', one 17'. The long one is great if I'm up a ladder adjusting a camera and want to give the customer on the ground a look at the view

I also made up a handy adapter for the end by using am RCA Y-splitter, then one one side, added a m RCA-to-BNC and a BNC T-connector, and left the other as a bare RCA. Then I can leave the Y-adapter plugged in and not have to mess around as much with different connectors.

Oh yes, and you notice the ANT connector: this is actually a TV/DVD, and includes an analog & digital tuner, so it works with the new digital systems, as well as older cable systems

Too fancy for me, I use a simple CCTV Tester with 3.5" screen, nice thing is it tests my RJ45 connections and is a multimeter

colour bar generator and PTZ controller/tester PTZ data tester and Audio channel tester. I have to admit I have no clue about the PTZ data tester and have never used the audio tester.

You may not need all these functions so there are cheaper alternatives for sure for about $35

I wish I could find a pair of pliers that would do as many jobs.

( Now some smart@lec is going to post a multi use pliers just you watch )

195976_1.jpg195976_2.jpg

The small screens are just too hard to get a good focus adjustment on & can be near impossible to see if you are outside in the sun. At least that is the case with my eyes.

The small screens are just too hard to get a good focus adjustment on & can be near impossible to see if you are outside in the sun. At least that is the case with my eyes.

Speaking for myself, you are not alone on that score but any screen out in the sun will have the same washout effect believe me, although you stand a better chance of a nice sharp image with a bigger screen like the 7" Soundy uses. I used to have a sun shield I built with black craft board but it made the whole thing too cumbersome to be lugging around so I leant to cope.

Depending how much you would need it

, it is designed for VF lenses with body cameras and assists you to set the back focus at the workbench which then eliminates the need to "focus" at the point of delivery. The meter is not that expensive at £100 + tax but you can't use on every camera.

You will still need some form of display to position and set the zoom (sight) the camera.

I like to focus using the monitor that the customer will be using.

A nice idea and principal, but not particularly practical or convenient. Or do you mean on the workbench?

When we are on site we will have 2 guys or one guy with the customer looking at their monitor.

If it works for you and you get a result thats all that matters

We use ToteVision LCD-565 5.6" battery operated monitors for field use and two-way radio for fine adjustments.

hello everyone

i recently came across this, it seems perfect for focusing manual cameras, and it has quite a high res too, as most of the car screens are only 272H, have to wire a BNC on it though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5-TFT-LCD-Digital-Car-Rearview-Reversing-Reverse-Camera-Monitor-/190696364076?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6663982c

Perfect for the occasional installation and camera maintenance.