martingilly

Which compression algorithm

MPEG-2 produces the best quality between it and MPEG-4. MPEG-2 files can also be easily converted to DVD complaint files and burned to DVD for playing on standard DVD home players.

MPEG-2 uses less CPU to compress files than MPEG-4. Hardware compression is preferable than using the CPU if you have that option. So the power of the computer is a very strong factor if you are not using hardware compression.

MPEG-4 uses much more compression, uses much less hard drive space, I have seen 4.7GB DVD's (MPEG-2) compressed to a 700MB while retaining a beautiful picture.

If your computer is powerful enough to handle real time MPEG-4 compression that's what I would use because you save so much space and you can reverse compress those files back to DVD format easily as well if you want to burn them to DVD. Also MPEG-4 version 10 seems to be even more effective at maintaining a higher quality image and compressing files even smaller. H.264 is the name of the advanced video codec that is used to accomplish this task.

MPEG-4 files are also very easy to stream across the internet for remote viewing The bit rate is so much lower than MPEG-2. MPEG-2 is not practical unless you have enormous bandwidth on each side. Even then I would still go with MPEG-4 because it is technically superior in just about every way.

The other file format you mentioned I am not familiar with. Maybe somebody else in the forum can discuss the pros and cons of that format.

It is cheap

Now, what they do with that compression is a whole different thing .. mind you even the cheapest DVR on the market with MPEG2 is very high quality, just lacks a ton of features and other things.

That network software it uses is one of the worst Ive ever used by the way, but hey, its cheap