Kawboy12R

Security DVRs or cards with the best RECORDED video quality?

Just wondering if anybody has done a bunch of comparisons of the RECORDED picture quality of home DVR systems?

I just got a Lorex system that has some pretty good cameras but the picture quality drops quite a bit when viewing the recorded footage compared to the live camera view. I've got it set for D1 resolution (the highest) and "best" image quality but the image still suffers from way too much compression loss for my tastes.

You can tell things like TV lines of resolution in camera, recording resolution (D1, HD1, CIF, etc) of the DVR, but there's no way to compare video quality loss after compression by reading spec sheets. Anybody know of a system where the recorded video quality is more or less identical to the LIVE video quality from the cameras? Doesn't HAVE to be a DVR box- a computer card could work as well.

Just wondering if anybody has done a bunch of comparisons of the RECORDED picture quality of home DVR systems?

I just got a Lorex system that has some pretty good cameras but the picture quality drops quite a bit when viewing the recorded footage compared to the live camera view. I've got it set for D1 resolution (the highest) and "best" image quality but the image still suffers from way too much compression loss for my tastes.

You can tell things like TV lines of resolution in camera, recording resolution (D1, HD1, CIF, etc) of the DVR, but there's no way to compare video quality loss after compression by reading spec sheets. Anybody know of a system where the recorded video quality is more or less identical to the LIVE video quality from the cameras? Doesn't HAVE to be a DVR box- a computer card could work as well.

Hmm, you are opening can of worms

good for you you notice this

will be lots of comments soon

my opinion start look at megapix cams

in mean time your system will give you D1 size but not D1 quality

My BNC cams produce much better usable quality than my DVR playback does. I'm fairly happy with what they show me on the monitor but if I depend on recorded footage then the quality is nasty. Conclusion? DVR is the weakest link. I was going to order another few cameras but now I think I'll hold off until I figure out a way to give me decent recorded footage. Then I'll worry about upping camera quality, but that is on the list, too, along with tweaking zoom levels.