Sign in to follow this  
cessna

PTZ - Anything better than Axis Q6035-E or Panasonic SW-396

Hi,

We are starting a project on birding site by the lake here in Finland. We need a best possible outdoor PTZ camera. I've searched the Internet and come to a conclusion that the best (and the most expensive) PTZ cameras on the market are the two mentioned in the subject. Am I right or wrong?

Requirements:

The camera should be able to be controlled via web interface and should have the best possible HD image quality. Is it even possible to identify birds (mainly all kinds of waders and other shore birds) up to 60-80 meters with these cameras over the Internet connection. Axis Q6035 has 20x optical in 1080p and Pana SW-396 has 36x optical in 720p or so I've understood. Which camera or the zoom/resolution is better in reality? Keep in mind we need to see as much details as possible of the birds that wade on the shore.

A bonus would be if the camera had some kind of built-in access control ie. user identification with password over the Internet.

Are we asking too much and the camera like this doesn't even exist yet. Should we put this project on hold for a few years and see if the technology evolves.

Bosch makes the best cameras on the market for image quality and long term use. They are slow to market with new technology but when they release something it has been R&D to meet the highest quality standard.

HD:

http://stna.resource.bosch.com/documents/Data_sheet_enUS_9007201729491595.pdf

Best outdoor camera made but is is analog. We just installed several in a high security location and the security director loved the 36Xzoom and the low light ability of the camera

http://stna.resource.bosch.com/documents/Data_sheet_enUS_18014400835618955.pdf

Most IP camera systems will allow you to web browse into the camera to view and control the cameras. Also you can install a SD video card on most of the cameras you are looking at so the camera can have video storage.

You could also look at EarthCam if you need someone to design and provide tech support for this project.

http://www.earthcam.com/

Thanks for the reminder on the Bosch cameras. That AutoDome 800 series looks promising too. I think the specs are very similar to Axis Q6035 ie. HD 1080p and 20x optical + 12x digital. Is the Bosch image quality and detail really superior to Axis Q6035-E? Has anyone had a chance to compare them side by side.

Another question. Can you see more detail with 20x at 1080p than with 36x optical at 36x (like the Panasonic SW-396)? I'd guess that 1080p could be further zoomed digitally to be comparable to the 720p at 36x?

Hardest part is to find a dealer in Finland who has these high-end cameras on the shelf to try. These are after all quite marginal products and the market is small in a small country.