groovyman

Did I do the right thing here?

I received a call from someone today who's DVR wouldn't power on. This is an older 4CH Dedicated Micros DVR (D4RS) with a proprietary external power supply. I believe it's a bad power supply & a replacement will cost around $90 shipped. I think that's outrageous, but it is what it is. It may or may not fix the issue and I'll be wasting a lot of time if it isn't, plus the downtime that the client really doesn't want. Unfortunately the dealer isn't around any more.

The only reason I would consider buying a new power supply is because I know this system cost a lot of money when it was installed and has been working well over the last 6 years. But, because of its age I'm recommending to replace it with a new stand alone DVR that has more functionality, better video quality and a whole lot more storage. I believe the current system has a 160GB-300GB hard drive and retains maybe 10-14 days of video which has been an issue just a couple of times over 6 years.

Now, keep in mind that I'm not 100% sure it's a bad power supply, but all signs point to it.

So, what would you do?

1 - Spend the money on a new power supply that may or may not fix the issue ($90).

2 - Replace the aging system with a new 4CH stand alone w/ 1TB-2TB hard drive that has more functionality for around $450.

Any opinions appreciated.

I received a call from someone today who's DVR wouldn't power on. This is an older 4CH Dedicated Micros DVR (D4RS) with a proprietary external power supply. I believe it's a bad power supply & a replacement will cost around $90 shipped. I think that's outrageous, but it is what it is. It may or may not fix the issue and I'll be wasting a lot of time if it isn't, plus the downtime that the client really doesn't want. Unfortunately the dealer isn't around any more.

The only reason I would consider buying a new power supply is because I know this system cost a lot of money when it was installed and has been working well over the last 6 years. But, because of its age I'm recommending to replace it with a new stand alone DVR that has more functionality, better video quality and a whole lot more storage. I believe the current system has a 160GB-300GB hard drive and retains maybe 10-14 days of video which has been an issue just a couple of times over 6 years.

Now, keep in mind that I'm not 100% sure it's a bad power supply, but all signs point to it.

So, what would you do?

1 - Spend the money on a new power supply that may or may not fix the issue ($90).

2 - Replace the aging system with a new 4CH stand alone w/ 1TB-2TB hard drive that has more functionality for around $450.

Any opinions appreciated.

Give the client both options and explain (in simple terms) the benefits/risks of each. Most people like to have a choice. If they just get the power supply, make sure you leave your sticker/card on their dvr for when it needs work again.

That's what I call an 'uneconomic repair'. The cost of a new power supply and the unit is still past it's best if something else fails, against the added functionality and increased storage of a new replacement not to mention the instant return to full operation and a two or three year warranty. It's not as if the cameras will need replacing or even adjusting so the client is not looking at a complete new system. You should offer to clean the cameras and tweek them but other than that...

If you are in business, you need to be making money from solving client's problems.

Obviously you wouldn't want to take unfair advantage but you have to eat too.

I would take along a great new DVR for demo and once they see it in operation they're not going to let you take it away.

Give the client both options and explain (in simple terms) the benefits/risks of each. Most people like to have a choice. If they just get the power supply, make sure you leave your sticker/card on their dvr for when it needs work again.

Yes, definitely. That's just what happened today. Even went online with the client to see what a power supply would cost. I was expecting in the neighborhood of $35 shipped.

Then I started discussing the age of the DVR, possible hard drive replacement (it's 6 years old and has the DM software on it), video quality, no smartphone access and that it may not even be the PSU. I steered him towards a new system, but I'm still torn over whether to just get the psu and chance it. If it's not the psu then I'm replacing it anyway.

Thanks for the advice about a sticker or card which is always a great idea, but that's not necessary. I've been servicing their computer equipment since the business opened - even before this location opened. I think they've got my number

That's what I call an 'uneconomic repair'. The cost of a new power supply and the unit is still past it's best if something else fails, against the added functionality and increased storage of a new replacement not to mention the instant return to full operation and a two or three year warranty. It's not as if the cameras will need replacing or even adjusting so the client is not looking at a complete new system. You should offer to clean the cameras and tweek them but other than that...

Yes, I agree. I actually cleaned the camera domes about 3 months ago when I was there to service a computer. I looked at the DVR monitor and noticed some fuzziness. A few minutes later he was amazed at the improvement.

If you are in business, you need to be making money from solving client's problems.

Obviously you wouldn't want to take unfair advantage but you have to eat too.

I would take along a great new DVR for demo and once they see it in operation they're not going to let you take it away.

I agree with that too. I actually fired up my laptop and showed him a few recent installations. Even though it's still analog, he saw the difference immediately. And he knows I'd never take advantage. Too much good will has been built up on both sides. Did I charge him extra for wiping down the cameras? Nah. 10 minutes and I was happy to do it. Good people remember the little extras.

That's what I call an 'uneconomic repair'. The cost of a new power supply and the unit is still past it's best if something else fails, against the added functionality and increased storage of a new replacement not to mention the instant return to full operation and a two or three year warranty.

Perhaps, but what if you factor staff training and familiarity with the current system. No reason they can't make an informed decision and groovyman gets to make two $ervice calls.

Yes, definitely. That's just what happened today. Even went online with the client to see what a power supply would cost. I was expecting in the neighborhood of $35 shipped.

Then I started discussing the age of the DVR, possible hard drive replacement (it's 6 years old and has the DM software on it), video quality, no smartphone access and that it may not even be the PSU. I steered him towards a new system, but I'm still torn over whether to just get the psu and chance it. If it's not the psu then I'm replacing it anyway.

Thanks for the advice about a sticker or card which is always a great idea, but that's not necessary. I've been servicing their computer equipment since the business opened - even before this location opened. I think they've got my number

This is your biggest "gotcha" - it could be a classic case of "throwing good money after bad". It *might* be the power supply... or it could be one of several other things... or it could be a combination of several things. You could spend more time just trying to track down issues one fix at a time.

And at the end of it all, end up replacing the whole thing anyway. Or end up needing to replace it after a couple more months anyway when something else dies. Or after a couple more months of using it after having seen what's out there now, the customer decides that dammit, it's just time to upgrade anyway.

So like others have said, give the pros and cons of both options... but I'd be strongly leaning toward a new system.

This is your biggest "gotcha" - it could be a classic case of "throwing good money after bad". It *might* be the power supply... or it could be one of several other things... or it could be a combination of several things. You could spend more time just trying to track down issues one fix at a time.

We all know that. It's easy enough to test the PS with a volt meter and advise the customer. But from being on the other end, even when a trusted service person only presents one option, and that option is a sale, you as the customer feel like....well... he's trying to sell you something.

Well, I installed the replacement DVR today. They are very pleased and happy with the decision, especially when they saw the difference in video quality. So, all around, the right decision was made. It was time.

We all know that. It's easy enough to test the PS with a volt meter and advise the customer. But from being on the other end, even when a trusted service person only presents one option, and that option is a sale, you as the customer feel like....well... he's trying to sell you something.

Yeah, yakky, that's just how I feel. Being on the customer side I hate when someone tells me something needs to be replaced without presenting possible repair options.

Example: My AC unit wasn't working properly. First guy said it needed to be replaced. The next guy said nope, coils just need cleaning and he also replaced some corroded connectors outside. Couple hundred vs a few thousand.

It's really tricky sometimes, even if you're giving the two options, to properly weight them for the customer.

In your case, you could have just said, "Oh yeah, it's just the power supply, I can get one for <$100", they might have been happy with that... then you get the power supply and find out the problems run deeper... and every "fix" you make, you find something else that needs to be addressed... then it starts to look like you're either incompetent, or you're just trying to soak them.

Or you could spell out all the potential issues - "Yes, I can just replace it, but this and that and the other thing could be wrong too; it's old, the quality is poor compared to what's available; etc. etc." - and while YOU think you're just covering your butt, to them it looks like you're trying to do the hard sell on a new machine by using scare tactics against keeping the old one. "Oh yeah, we could just fix the new one for cheap, but you know, it'll just blow up and take out your house a week later..."

Finding that middle ground can be iffy sometimes. It helps if you really know your customer well.