VA Tom

Split CCtv Cable to new monitor

Hi

I have had a quick look at our work CCTV system and we want to add a new monitor to view who is trying to access a gate

It is a nine camera system with all wires in the roof space

I want to put a splitter from one camera and run it to a new monitor in a front office

I can find the coaxial cable easily

So is it as simple as that? cut wire, insert spliter, conct wires, run new wire to monitor, connect up

If you need more information I can obtain this when I am next in the office

Thanks Tom

All though I'm not a professional installer, If it is an analog camera, that should be all there is to it. I recently just did the same thing and it worked out the way it should. If it is an IP camera, I don't have any experience with them.

The only issue with just splitting the signal (with a T shaped splitter) is that the signal will degrade a little bit. Some definition will be lost. You could look online for a distribution amplifier. I tried the really cheap one and it wasn't that great, and therefore not worth the money. The last one I got was around $40 and works just fine. It has 1 input and 4 outputs, so it is more than I needed, but again, the cheap 1 in, 2 out one I tried wasn't that great. I'm sure you can find a cheap enough one online. Just make sure it is the kind with an actual power supply (the TV channel splitters that don't plug in won't work well for a CCTV analog signal).

sorry I dont really know the difference between an analogue and ip camera

I will look into the splitters then and avoid a cheap one as i dont mind the signal degrading on the new montior but the monitor in the back office records and may be call upon in the event of a claim

You say you have nine cameras, so if you are using a DVR or even some Multiplexers, each camera input usually has a camera "loop out", meaning that you can connect a monitor directly to this output, no need for a splitter or a T connector. The loop out connector is below each input jack.

Hi Sorry I have been away

I meant it is a system with nine Camera feeds but we only use 5 at the moment

On the back of the hub each camera/channel has two cables going in

The monitor on top is fed by the hub via a DVI cabl to a monitor

Could I just split the DVI feed and feed an extra monitor mirroring each other?