gazz

dvr keyboards/ptz controllers

ATM i have a horrible swann based dvr located in a bird room at the bottom of the garden,

i view the cameras on the tv's in the house, and right now i have to have the remote for the dvr in one hand and the ptz controller on my lap, changing cameras with the dvr remote, and moving them with the ptz remote (the dvr's onscreen ptz is horrible to use, i have an ir remote extender taking the remote signal to the dvr from the house)

looking for another dvr, and i want one where i can use a single controller to operate it and the ptz cams,

i believe dahua dvrs alow this, but i am wondering about the connection between the dvr, ptz cams and controller,

some controllers seem to indicate they use a rs485 connection, but one for the dvr control, and another cable for the ptz cams, and they use a rs485 to rs232 adaptor at the dvr end for one of the cables,

couldent this be done with a single twisted pair from the controller to the dvr?

reason i'm asking is i want to go wireless, and get a pair of rs485 trancievers, fit on to the ptz/dvr controller, and the other to the dvr inplace of the twisted pair cable that you'd usually run,

reason being i need to be able to use the ptz/dvr control unit in different locations around the house, so wired will be a right pain (will run the controller on a 12 volt battery)

Anyone able to tell me if what i am thinking can be done? or would i need seperate cables for the dvr and ptz connections,

ATM i have a horrible swann based dvr located in a bird room at the bottom of the garden,

i view the cameras on the tv's in the house, and right now i have to have the remote for the dvr in one hand and the ptz controller on my lap, changing cameras with the dvr remote, and moving them with the ptz remote (the dvr's onscreen ptz is horrible to use, i have an ir remote extender taking the remote signal to the dvr from the house)

looking for another dvr, and i want one where i can use a single controller to operate it and the ptz cams,

i believe dahua dvrs alow this, but i am wondering about the connection between the dvr, ptz cams and controller,

some controllers seem to indicate they use a rs485 connection, but one for the dvr control, and another cable for the ptz cams, and they use a rs485 to rs232 adaptor at the dvr end for one of the cables,

couldent this be done with a single twisted pair from the controller to the dvr?

reason i'm asking is i want to go wireless, and get a pair of rs485 trancievers, fit on to the ptz/dvr controller, and the other to the dvr inplace of the twisted pair cable that you'd usually run,

reason being i need to be able to use the ptz/dvr control unit in different locations around the house, so wired will be a right pain (will run the controller on a 12 volt battery)

Anyone able to tell me if what i am thinking can be done? or would i need seperate cables for the dvr and ptz connections,

If your current DVR has an RS-485 or RS-232 port, then it's possible to integrate any keyboard controller to your DVR. You may want to contact the manufacturer and see if they sell or can recommend you a keyboard controller. If you find a keyboard you like, then you can request Swann for the DVR control protocol and have the keyboard manufacturer integrate it.

One of the common problems with controlling the DVR with the keyboard controller AND the PTZ at the same time on a single twisted pair, is that not many manufacturers are able to control both correctly. I've seen many systems that do both, but often times the controller was not fully taking advantage of the incremental movement of the PTZ cameras. So the alternative, is to wire two pairs, one to the DVR and another to the PTZ.

You may want to look for a keyboard controller that has multiple ports or a junction box, like PTZ1, PTZ2, DVR, and so forth, but this will also depend on the manufacturer. This way, you can test both single pair or go two pair route if the single pair fails.

Don't go wireless unless you absolutely must and have no other choice. Wireless is simply unreliable. We're dealing with video SECURITY here.

Good luck!