Hi,

I'm after a CCTV setup with 2 cameras, wireless so I don't have to run cables and something that can work with a computer to record the footage off the cameras.

I have a server with storage, could I host the cameras on a website I have a website setup.

It's a budget build, will be recording a dogs activity in the house, two cameras needed for different areas.

Suggestions

Thanks

First, forget wireless, at least with analog cameras - it tends to be unreliable and prone to interference... and it won't save you from running wires, because you still have to power the cameras.

If you want to record to a webserver, your best bet may be IP cameras of some sort, so there's no capture hardware required. There are lots of ways to go then, including cameras with built-in recording, plus all IP cameras have their own built-in webservers so you can view the cameras remotely. And if you do need to use wireless somewhere, WiFi is much more reliable than cheap analog wireless systems.

I'm not usually big on most types of cheapie IP cams,and I certainly hesitate to recommend them, as a rule, but I've been playing with one of these lately, and for what it is, it's not bad and may be worth a look: http://www.tenvis.com/web/enProductshow-56.html

It supports three video streams, so you can watch/control effectively from your phone or internet via the CIF stream, while recording to internal micro-SD card at 720p. They also have a service where the camera connects out to their server and your remote software then accesses that, eliminating the need for messing around with port forwarding and DDNS (although you can do it that way as well).

I've actually been using it to peek in on my dogs while I'm at work, too Not mind-blowing image quality, but it does the job.

Okay, i will forget wireless, i could place my server, close to the camera and only have one camera, but what wires would you use to send the video from the camera to the computer?

Ideally wanted to spend as little as possible.

With analog cameras, you need some sort of capture device - DVR card, etc. Which is why I say, if you already have a webserver that you want to put the video on, you're probably better to use an IP camera, which simply connects to your network. Many of them can send clips and/or stills directly to an FTP server, some can also record to network drives.

IP seems the way to go. Great, without resulting in a terrible picture and wasting money, what sort of manufacturer / camera should i be looking at for a budget buy? I was thinking about £40 - £50?

If you are dead set on wireless, you can get some Panasonic ($$$) or Foscam (budget) wireless cameras. Then you can monitor either with something like Zoneminder or BlueIris.

That said, you'll spend more time and get worse results that a budget wired solution.

I started with a few wireless IP cams with Zoneminder, went to wired IP cams, still unhappy. Bought a cheap DVR and coax cams, still unhappy, now moving on to a budget DVR system with some decent ($100) cameras.

The real issue is there are no wireless IP cameras under $500 that are worth a crap in the dark.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-camera-2-ways-Mobile-Viewing/dp/B00432J56G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

lots of reviews on this one, i know im not going to get anything great for the money but can't see too many problems from the 109 reviews it has.

I have had this camera set-up for about a year and use it as a stand alone to check on my dog, while I'm away, with my android phone (ipcam app.). Like it's already been said, not a great picture but does what I need it to even in very low light. Although I can't speak for record quality (never set-up or intended to capture with it) for mobile viewing it does a decent job for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-camera-2-ways-Mobile-Viewing/dp/B00432J56G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

lots of reviews on this one, i know im not going to get anything great for the money but can't see too many problems from the 109 reviews it has.

I have had this camera set-up for about a year and use it as a stand alone to check on my dog, while I'm away, with my android phone (ipcam app.). Like it's already been said, not a great picture but does what I need it to even in very low light. Although I can't speak for record quality (never set-up or intended to capture with it) for mobile viewing it does a decent job for the price.

You don't happen to have any pictures you could upload to show of the quality, Maybe a phone screen shot, that would be extremely helpful. I don't want to buy it and regret not paying more for something with a better picture if it's not as good as id like.

These are both snapshots from the program. The one of the side of the fridge is 5ft from camera & in the other shot, I placed a feather duster in the corner at 18ft. I will upload the same shots tonight after dark so you can see the IR at work. I will try to get you some video samples also.

997590802_5ftdaytime.jpg.fc54e7b5f4d51dffd0202ace9ca1b1dc.jpg

1569793818_18ftdaytime.jpg.56f525588f82b766b27810b422bd52c5.jpg

Thank you very much for doing that. The photo quality looks better than i expected.

Definitely purchase one of these.

Thank you very much for doing that. The photo quality looks better than i expected.

Definitely purchase one of these.

I do have to mention that there is a noticeable blur to any object that is moving at a normal walking speed when you are watching live or recorded video. The attached snapshot is the worst case of the blur I could get. And the highest res. for this unit is 640 X 480.

If you want all the info. on this unit, check out this link:

http://www.lonestargrp.net/shop/article_45/Wireless-IP-Camera-PAN_TILT-Cell-Phone-View.html?shop_param=cid%3D5%26aid%3D45%26

Hope this helps.

If you would like to try it out, send me a PM and I will try to setup a guest account so you can take it for a test drive.

movement.jpg.5b98f96f615e31001b0956885f3aa2a5.jpg

The night time shots are pretty decent too! Thanks!

To get that motion blur shot was that you just walking or did you have to jolt?

The night time shots are pretty decent too! Thanks!

To get that motion blur shot was that you just walking or did you have to jolt?

That is my son just walking. The blur is not consistently this bad. As an object moves thru the shot the blur goes from noticeable to terrible & back inconsistantly. I can't say if it is the camera processor, my computer processor, or a combination of both. but, for a $50 PT camera, it is better than I expected. It is not much as a home security solution but it works great for what I use it for, checking in on my house and dog while I'm out.

If you are wanting to be able to just check on things while your out, I think you will be happy with this unit. Just keep in mind that you can't buy gold for the price of tin.

I have purchased one so I will have a play this week

Thanks for all the comments, I'll pop back with the results.