SecurityNub

Linking two cameras to one cord?

I found a specialty store in town that carries quality RG59 cable. It is 4 times as thick, very durable. But I don't know how to link two cameras to one cable.

Can anyone link to a nice how to guide? Or give tips on what they did? Or even if it is a good idea?

You can do it, but it requires a special device designed for that purpose. If you're buying new wire, I assume that means you don't have any wire run yet - in that case, just pull one wire per camera and be done with it (don't forget a power wire for each camera as well).

Keep in mind that just because it's thicker cable, doesn't mean it's better... for best results, it's important that CCTV cable be 75 ohm type (RG59 or RG6 - not 50 ohm, like RG58 cable-TV and antenna wire), have solid copper core (not copper-clad steel or aluminum), and a braided copper shield (not aluminum foil) with at least 95% coverage.

TV antenna cable is still 75^ and is most commonly RG59 for analogue or RG6 for digital. The RG58 is (as you say) 50^ and is most commonly used for radio transmitter antenna feed.

You can do it, but it requires a special device designed for that purpose. If you're buying new wire, I assume that means you don't have any wire run yet - in that case, just pull one wire per camera and be done with it (don't forget a power wire for each camera as well).

Keep in mind that just because it's thicker cable, doesn't mean it's better... for best results, it's important that CCTV cable be 75 ohm type (RG59 or RG6 - not 50 ohm, like RG58 cable-TV and antenna wire), have solid copper core (not copper-clad steel or aluminum), and a braided copper shield (not aluminum foil) with at least 95% coverage.

It's RG59 with solid copper core, I'll check the other two things you speak of. So I currently have VideoSecu with power supply connectors already attached. I saw online RG59 with 2 copper wires for power supply, but no connectors already attached.........Is it difficult to do the attachments myself?

Like this? And are you saying I should just run two of these along side each other rather than have one cord for all? 196660_1.png

Rg59

Solid Copper Core

Braiding Copper Shield

95% coverage?

What is 95% coverage?

95% coverage refers to the coverage of the shielding (braid) around the inner conductor. You would only get 100% if it was a solid copper shield (a bit like a copper pipe). There are many cables that have a very thin & light braiding that would only be at a guess 50%

run one of the cables depicted in the pic for each camera label them on both ends. That will make trouble shooting down the road that much easier. The last thing you want is another connection aka point of failure,

in some hard to get at place. Compared to the cost of the project one more cable run is nothing.