ptr727

Bullet or dome for outside house

I am building a new house, and I want to install IP security cameras outside the house, back, front, and sides. The sides of the house have very narrow alleys, 3ft on one side and 5ft on the other side, with gates allowing entry to the alleys on both sides from the street, and doors exiting from the house to the alleys on both sides. I am considering mounting the alley cameras in a position so that they cover the door and the gate.

It appears that there are many more options for dome cameras, including 5MP resolution, while for bullet cameras they are only 2MP, and fewer models. My concern with using a dome camera is the that it needs to be mounted on the wall, and that it may not be able to cover angles up to and past the wall it is mounted on. My concern with bullet cameras is the size and wife acceptance factor.

What would you and your audience recommend?

P.

Some considerations:

1. For a residence, dome cameras are far more visually appealing; housed box cameras will make your home look like a fort or a bank.

2. Besides aesthetics, you often do not want the camera to stand out. The more obvious the camera is, the more likely a perp will find a way to defeat it and/or vandalize it.

3. Dome cameras have small lenses, whereas box camera lenses are typically much larger. Bigger glass equals better low-light capability and better resolution.

4. A dome camera can see along the face of the wall it is mounted on.

5. A dome camera can be mounted on an arm to extend it's position away from the wall. This can often improve the view. The downsides are that it is more visually obtrusive and easier for a vandal to attack (like throwing a rope over the arm). Of course, the same goes for the housed box camera.

Since you're building new, perhaps you can work the cameras into the architectural design of your house.

I am building a new house, and I want to install IP security cameras outside the house, back, front, and sides. The sides of the house have very narrow alleys, 3ft on one side and 5ft on the other side, with gates allowing entry to the alleys on both sides from the street, and doors exiting from the house to the alleys on both sides. I am considering mounting the alley cameras in a position so that they cover the door and the gate.

It appears that there are many more options for dome cameras, including 5MP resolution, while for bullet cameras they are only 2MP, and fewer models. My concern with using a dome camera is the that it needs to be mounted on the wall, and that it may not be able to cover angles up to and past the wall it is mounted on. My concern with bullet cameras is the size and wife acceptance factor.

What would you and your audience recommend?

P.

I would take a look at some of the bullet IP66 rated cams like the Dahua 1.3MP -- they have that camera running in Blue Iris software also.

What software do you plan on using, and I would HIGHLY suggest you wire for CAT6 and either go w/ PoE or wire for AC or DC power also, besides the CAT6 runs to each and every camera for reliability and higher frame rates.

Also, take a look at the Grandstream GXV-3651_FHD (5MP) comes w/ lens for around $300 or so.

http://www.grandstream.com/index.php/products/ip-video-surveillance/gxv3651

Den

Sorry to the OP: you were asking about bullet cameras and I replied about box cameras (since I'm shopping for a box camera right now, I've got them on my mind).

Dome is definitely less conspicuous. If you get the traditional domes you can mount them with just the clear part poking out if you install in your soffiting. The softball looking domes are another good option. Bullets stick out like sore thumbs unless concealed behind something.

Thanks for the info.

The soffit may be a bit high as it is a two story.

Are there option to mount in on the wall, maybe embedded in the stucco so it does not stick out so far?

Will a dome camera be able to see down the wall if I mount it flat on the wall?

P.

If you could get behind the stucco.... maybe. Sounds like a lot of work.

The CNB domes can look almost straight down, probably 75 degrees before the housing gets in the way.

Recessed in the soffit would be ideal.

Is too high for a two story to look down at an angle to see the face of somebody walking through the side gate?

Recessed in the soffit would be ideal.

Is too high for a two story to look down at an angle to see the face of somebody walking through the side gate?

Depends on what focal length you have the lens set to and the location of the camera. The CCTV Design tool on the left links section looks like it might be able to show you potential views/locations.

Have you looked at the new Mobotix S14. The camera is a small box you hide somewhere, the lenses are on 6' leashes and are pretty small, one for daytime color that is 3MP and one that is 1.2MP b&w. If you can build your home it so the camera box is inside the wall, in the attic, somewhere you can get to it if it needed servicing, then recess the lenses in the wall or sofit for a clean look. The lenses are small, maybe 2" diameter.

The night sensor on Mobotix is best I've seen for low light viewing and the color 3MP, it's a nice crisp clear image. I know you will be shocked at the price, but consider that you don't need an NVR or PC with NVR software as it's built into each camera.

196583_1.jpg

196583_2.jpg