Brent1971

Anyone used the EH1008H-4 Nano DVR?

Someone helpfully mentioned this in my other thread. It looks GREAT on paper. Anyone run one? Here is the specs:

http://surveillance.aver.com/model/embedded-hybrid-DVR-EH1008H-4-Nano

EH1008H-4 Nano is a budget-friendly 8CH H.264 embedded hybrid DVR with a compact, fan-less design that is ideal for space / noise critical applications. It employs full hybrid capabilities such as intelligent streaming, advanced live alarm mechanisms, POS integration, and remote software integration. Easy operation, low maintenance, and full capabilities makes the EH1008H-4 Nano perfect for deployment in small to mid-sized installations, including retail stores and small offices.

4CH IP camera (network camera) support and H.264 compression with real-time recording and display

supports up to 5 megapixels for one channel, and a total of 8 megapixels for all 4 IP camera (network camera) channels in H.264/MPEG-4/MJPEG format

intelligent streaming provides excellent preview performance (with AVer IP cameras (network cameras))

provides advanced alarm notifications

POS integration for live display/playback/search (please see the Data Box introduction for more information)

remote software integration: CM3000/CM3000 Gold, Remote Console, PCViewer, iViewer for iPhone & iPad, iBBViewer, AndroidViewer, JavaViewer, and SmartViewer

Okay, so no one has! LOL

Any thoughts before I grab one of these? They are about $400 or so... and would meet my needs.

Okay, so no one has! LOL

Any thoughts before I grab one of these? They are about $400 or so... and would meet my needs.

hi yes they are good little systems. good apps and some good updates comming out.

Tom, are you a dealer for these or an end user?

Okay, so no one has! LOL

hi yes they are good little systems. good apps and some good updates comming out.

Tom, are you a dealer for these or an end user?

Okay, so no one has! LOL

Installer been using avers for years

nevermind, I updated the firmware and now I can get remote console with the remote console software. havent tried the web interface yet...

tom or anyone, thanks to the good advice here, I now have the aver nano and its set up with a hdd and all. the issue I'm having is when I try to log onto it through web access from my laptop. it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I looked at every setting and all are set properly to allow access, but I cant get the screen to show in the browser. I can ping the IP address so the laptop does "see" it. any advice? I can email them tomorrow for support but thought I'd ask here too.

Installed remote console software, that doesnt work either. I have Windows 7. Laptop is WIFI

update: the remote console software seems to limit me from changing settings etc, seems just a viewer. the web interface runs now but when clicking on the setup tab, generates the following error:

Windows cannot find'C:\Program Files\remoteAP\install_Language_20101208.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

ARGHHHHH

Remote Console does not allow you to configure the dvr. iSetup is needed. This can be installed via the CD, or download the WebTools software from the Aver website. Note that some setup functions will be greyed out as it doesn't give access to every setup feature - many need to be configured on the dvr itself. This is one of main issues with the Nano. However, I still like the dvr very much and have installed quite a few of them.

OK thanks for the info, yeah the unit is in a remote location so this is an issue. But I'll try to work with it.

What is iSetup and where can I get it? Not on CD that I can see...

thanks!

Remote Console does not allow you to configure the dvr. iSetup is needed. This can be installed via the CD, or download the WebTools software from the Aver website. Note that some setup functions will be greyed out as it doesn't give access to every setup feature - many need to be configured on the dvr itself. This is one of main issues with the Nano. However, I still like the dvr very much and have installed quite a few of them.

Nothing called "iSetup" exists. When I go to Web Tools folder and run the setup there it says already installed. There is no program group on start menu but the desktop has a "DVR Remote Console" icon and that runds the remote console whoch does not allow any configuration.

When I access the nano it through Internet Explorer and click on the configuration tab, I get the following error:

Windows cannot find'C:\Program Files\remoteAP\install_Language_20101208.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I'll call them when I get the chance to.

Look for Web Tools on the CD or download it from the Aver website.

Hi. sounds like a interruption while loading. so you will have to remove all downloads for aver and re-install.

the programe will not load if you dont have admin rights or you have not clicked run as administrator (right click on I.E)

also switch of virus protection while loading.

Very cool have it downloading now. Regarding web access, I got that working. There were a couple issues, one I did need to "run as administrator" Internet Explorer and then I could slecet configuration tab and configure most settings. So thanks for that tip!

Also, when I change to a static IP number, OR change the port from 80 to something else, I cant log on from Internet Explorer.

I set the first two cameras to "Full D1" and the second two to Half D1. Thats probably overkill due to my cameras but cam2 and 4 at least are 600 and 540 lines TVL. I noticed that Full D1 is 720x480 and half is 720x240. Is the lower number the number of horizontal lines? Also, I turned on deinterlacing level 2, not sure if thats beneficial.

The web viewer image is really not better than my trusty old analog DVR.

Anyway, can someone recommend analog camera that can take full advantage of "Full D1" recording? Also, this unit can use up to a 2.3megapixel IP camera, can anyone recommend one of those to try?

Thanks for all the advice its been a big help!

Go to http://surveillance.aver.com/download-center

Click on Embedded Hybrid DVR > EH1004H-4 Nano > Software > Search

Download "Web tools_iMatrix,iDispatch server, remote console,ialarm"

Unzip & install

During the installation you'll see the screen below. iSetup is on the list.

Hope this helps.

[attachment=0]WebTools.jpg[/attachment]

when I change to a static IP number, OR change the port from 80 to something else, I cant log on from Internet Explorer.

Hi. this is why you have problems with downloading direct from DVR. aver is best run on port 5550. port 80 should not be portforwarded in a router. its not needed.

while you are entering ports into your router. you need to add a few more to get the most out of your system.

PORTS

Also, this unit can use up to a 2.3megapixel IP camera, can anyone recommend one of those to try?

the unit can run 5mp on channel 1. or 1 x 3mp and the rest 2mp

I have one of these units and need your help. It is operating fine, but I can't seem to log in remotely - not using port 80 for html (yes, I tried selecting administrator using right click), can't access it using port 5550, all I get are errors. I haven't tried updating the firmware - unfortunately I only have access to this on the weekend, so will try it coming up - but would appreciate any help you can give, especially on the port numbers I need to register for port replicating.

Hi, can anybody help me with the E-mail alarm settings please?

I'm using a DynDns, Dyn Standard SMTP and have set up the SMTP server as outbound.mailhop.org. Authentication is my user name (also tried host name) and I've tried every port I seen referenced (25,2525,10025,465,10465,53,80,1053,5550,5555,9999). Keep getting the same response when I try to test the mail settings "Test Fail". I've set all of the above ports port forwarded on the router (Netgear WNR2000). Still no E-mail alarm. Probably something simple but I'm pulling my hair out here.

I can use the remote viewer on Android / Apple no problem via the DynDns service.

Comments appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Tried all of the ports you suggest. No success. Have tried AVER Remote Console, AVER iViewer, and port 80 access - all no success. Would appreciate any tips.

Tried all of the ports you suggest. No success. Have tried AVER Remote Console, AVER iViewer, and port 80 access - all no success. Would appreciate any tips.

hi. how are you entering the URL.

people get caught out using www. you need to enter http://yourexternalip:5550

Have tried entering the URL as just IP address:5550 and also using my DNS address. Zippo - no response from the DVR

I just picked up one of these AverMedia Nano Hybrid DVR's model EH1008H. I'll give my feedback on it. First, this is my second DVR - my first DVR was a cheap one but a good one, 4 channel Analog that could do full D1 recording on all 4 channels. I wanted to upgrade to some IP cameras but keep my analog cameras so that's why I went with the AverMedia Hybrid.

This DVR does work, and hasn't crashed on me yet, but here are my complaints:

1) I guess you do really get what you pay for, as this is the cheapest Hybrid DVR I could find, and for sure it's an entry level DVR. There really isn't many advanced features that you have. You can set it up and get everything working, but don't expect advanced options at this price point.

2) the preview monitor (VGA out) is limited to 1024x768 resolution. That's it. There are no options to change that. My old cheap analog DVR could go to 1440x900, so this is a disappointment for me. Most if not all monitors you can buy today are wide screen 16:9 or 16:10 so this is frustrating to say the least stuck at 1024x768 which is a 4:3 aspect ratio, not to mention this DVR supports megapixel IP cameras which are also widescreen resolutions, so limiting it to 1024x768 to me just doesn't make sense.

3) You can't record full D1 with 4 analog cameras. It seems you can do D1 at 15fps only on two at once. A shame, again, since my old DVR could do full D1 with all 4 cameras at 30 fps.

4) The software is a bit confusing. There is imatrix, isetup, remote console, etc etc, and they all look similar. You figure it out and it's not too hard but at first it was annoying. They should have just put everything under one application instead of having multiple separate apps.

5) the AverViewer iphone/android app sucks, it doesn't take good advantage of screen real estate, and often crashed on my iphone 3GS and the buttons in the app often didn't work and i had to touch the (small icons) multiple times before they would work. (as an aside, ip cam viewer works with this DVR and is well worth the purchase on the app store and I've since deleted AverViewer...).

6) When viewing 4 cameras on the preview (from the VGA output of the DVR) the software crops each camera image from what looks to me about 3-4% on each side, effectively making your image smaller on each side (top, left, right, and bottom). That is extremely annoying because when you view the camera one at a time, you see the full camera image. in 4 camera view, you're missing that 3-4% on all sides and if your camera's field of view is not that wide you really notice it. I have emailed tech support about this but so far we are at the stage where they ask stuff like "Did you reboot the DVR, did you re-load the firmware?"...sigh...but I guess you have to go through level 1 tech support before you can talk to someone who really knows their stuff... obviously this is their software automatically cropping the 4 camera view. This may be a show stopper for me as my old DVR didn't do this and it's annoying not seeing the full image in 4 camera view.

7) The windows software has no proper minimize/maximize ability and it is designed for 1024x768 so you can't even re-size the window or really move it around. You can go full screen (which still is only 1024x768, so it's not really "full screen", unless your computer's native resolution is actually 1024x768, but I suspect most people don't use that resolution, especially on any laptop purchased in the last 4 years) or normal size only - normal being a 1024x768 custom window with no normal windows controls (minimize/maximize/close). In addition, the software constantly asks you for your password - when you start it (which is fine), but any time you go into setup, and even when you exit the software. Over time this gets really frustrating and there is no option to adjust that, especially when you are right on the DVR only using a mouse and the on screen keyboard.

8) This could be a pro or a con depending on how you look at it, but the remote software viewing via web browser or their software app on windows does not affect what the preview monitor displays. So they are separate - if you change the view on your windows PC the preview monitor output won't change. This is different from my old DVR - if I changed the camera layout on the PC it would also change on the preview monitor. I personally liked that, but I also like how it's separate on this DVR. I'll call it a personal choice/preference on this one.

9) This is a general comment, and probably true for most DVR's, but don't expect good quality or fps when you are viewing remotely on your iphone, ipad, or remote computer. The "remote" view (even if you are on the same network at home) uses the secondary streams from the cameras, which are lower quality). The only way to see the highest quality views is from the VGA out on the back of the DVR. I'd like the capability to view the primary camera stream on my computer (on the same LAN), even if I had to disable the preview from VGA. I don't know of any DVR that does this, though, at least at the consumer level.

Overall this DVR works, but it's a budget hybrid DVR and you won't get advanced functionality or tweaking from it, it has fairly annoying software quirks and poor out of the box mobile app support (although as I mentioned ip cam viewer works with it).

I'll continue talking to their tech support about the cropping issue, and I have yet to hook up a megapixel IP camera - I have two of these babies on order so we'll see how this DVR performs with 720P IP cameras. It will be interesting to see how this DVR scales down a 720P ip camera image on the preview (VGA out) and if it crops it at all, and how this will look with a mix of analog and IP cameras in a 4 camera view.

I would probably still recommend this DVR - if you need a Hybrid solution and don't have alot of cash. If you can live with the annoying "features" or lack thereof, dated software (1024x768 only?!) the price is good and the ability to add megapixel IP cameras to your analog camera installation is nice. I must remind you, however, that I have yet to hook up megapixel IP cameras so I can't comment on how well it works with those...but I will update this post when I have that info.

Darren

1 - What features are you looking for that the dvr doesn't have?

2 - Some monitors allow for stretching, some don't. But, yeah, being able to change the resolution would be nice.

3 - DVR (analog) records 60fps @ D1 which is stated in the specs. 120fps @ HD1 & 240fps @ CIF. The individual adjustment per channel is a nice feature though.

4 - I think they do have it in one application - CM3000. Those are the individual components. I like it, personally. For some clients I'll install Remote Console, iSetup and the playback software. Very simple & easy.

5 - Yeah, the smartphone apps could use some work. Being able to enlarge channels would be nice to have, especially on a tablet. I also use IP Cam Viewer for the ability to enlarge the video.

6 - I haven't experienced that. Or, it could be that I just never noticed.

7 - You can minimize the software, but need to enter a password to do so - use the same button used to exit the software. The software is designed for multiple resolutions: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200. I would like to software to support 1366 x 768 as well though. Password prompting can be viewed both as a pro or con. I think it's silly to ask for a password all the time though. For some things, absolutely. But, for other things I agree, it can be annoying.

8 - No comment.

9 - I think it all depends on the connection method. When viewing from a PC the stream is high quality, however FPS is limited due to the remote upload bandwidth. The software also has 2 video quality settings - high & normal. Need to right click on the video to change the setting. I'm not sure about the smartphone & tablet quality settings. One thing I'd like to see on the 4 & 8 channel is gigabit lan. It's on the 16, but not the 4 or 8, just 10/100.

I've purchased several of these units (4, 8 & 16 channel) and have my own little issues with them. However, I have issues with every DVR I've ever used. I've have some running for close to 2 years now and have been very satisfied with them. Actually ordering a couple more today.

I read the previous comments with some interest as I have just replaced our ageing Teleye DVR with the Aver EH1008H. The install went fairly smoothly apart from the clunky Aver software which appears to be written in the dark age and I have to agree with DarrenHD regarding the screen resolution and the multiple modules.

I still have a number of software issues and hopefully members of the forum may be able to help.

1. I note that Groovyman & Darren are using the I-Cam Viewer app to view the system. I have used the app for about a year now to view my ip cams and I am a big fan. However, I am unable to get it to work with the Aver EH1008H and I wonder what I am doing wrong. The latest update now lists the specific model number and despite selecting it the app refuses to connect.

Message to Darren and Groovyman - what model number are you using to get the app to work?

2. Although I can operate the PTZ controls through the VGA module I haven't managed to find any software that allows me to operate the controls remotely. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Many thanks in advance, btw.... Great forum.