Sign in to follow this  
matt_perth

CCTV camera with IR Array - remotley mounted power supply

Hello

I have brought a cheapish CCTV system with 2 IR cameras and PVR but impressed with the results.

I have read that the IR led cameras have a limited LED life, some quote 6000 hours and if you assume 10 hours of night per day, that is not a long life. The Array cameras look better life and have a better IR coverage. My 2 cameras that came with the PVR system have 18m power/video cable and draw 300mA. The Array dome camera I am looking at :-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170785359280?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have been told that you must connect the PSU at the camera rather than at the end of the cable on a 20m cable as it is an array. This is 500mA (my PVR power supply have 1A per channel.

now I understand that the longer the cable the higher volt drop and the cable quality matters, do you think I would have trouble powering this camera remotely rather than locally?

Thanks

At 18m the voltage drop won't be much of an issue. What may cause you grief is the quality of the premade cable in regards to the video signal though it would have to be REALLY crappy to cause too much of a problem over 18m

Thanks the toss, that is what I thought but this guy is saying 20/30m cables you will need to power locally. I think I will get better quality cables and then will not need to worry about another power supply.

What do you think of this camera for a $100 budget?

I'd stay away from ebay cameras simply because there is no comeback (warranty) Gheck out Rhino. they have some well priced entry level cameras. Go up a few levels & they come with a lifetime (25yr) warranty which I have already tested out. $100 may be cheap but it is wasted if the results are crapp or it only lasts for 6 months.

This is Laser Led not common LED light and basically A grade Led life cycle at least is 20K hours. Key point is Laser Led would damage eyes. So be careful disposed it again.