Sign in to follow this  
mattbatson

ACTI KCM-5611 v.s. ACTI KCM-5311E

there is a 200 dollar difference between these two in favor of the 5311E...but I cannot see where this difference is coming from in options/potential?

I'm very new to this, but have been doing a lot of reading.

I plan to run this camera off my PC with ACTI's free software...and I plan to eventually buy more camera's, but plan to start with one for now.

It will be covering our driveway on our current home for now, but eventually the system will be moved to our 10 acres, so I like the option of a zoom.

Anyways, I've read some good things about ACTI and am hoping their reliability is decent...so decided to go with them.

thoughts?

thanks

also, as an aside, i would like to solicit a company owned by one of the guys on here who help out us newbies...

I wish there was a master list somewhere on this site showing the companies owned by each member...

just a thought...

There are a couple of main differences.

1. The 5611 has a larger sensor 5.42mm x 3.1mm vs. the 5311E at 3.84mm x 2.4mm.

2. The zoom ratio is 18X optical for the 5611 vs. 35X optical for the 5311E.

So the 5611 has a larger sensor size while the 5311E has a larger zoom ratio.

The 5611 is special purpose for really good low light capabilities, hence the higher cost. If you have adequate lighting, then save the money and get the 5311E.

okay, thx guys...

so the sensor is bigger...what does the sensor do exactly?

Do you think it is significant?

and is the nighttime capability that much better?

noticeably anyways...?

thx again...

if the differences arent that big, I will get the cheaper one for now, then when I do my second camera, maybe I'll go with the 5611.

So you would say there's a night and day difference It worked so well it wouldn't even switch to night mode unless I changed the max exposure to 1/60th.

The 5311e is a closeout item I believe is it not? I thought I read that that one was going away in the next month or so. You might be able to get a better deal on that model, or you might get the newer model because of the sensor being so much bigger.

How much better is the 5611 than the 5211e? The sensor is just about 1mm difference, and only in one direction. For those that have tested it how much better is it really? Any comparisons of the two in the same locations? I need to order some more ACTi cameras in the next few days and that is my one major complaint with the 5211e is that it really needs a lot of light. If the difference is significant I may order a few of them to try in my darker locations. I can handle the 2mp vs the 4mp, though a larger sensor on the 4mp would be the best really.

Can't tell you on the 5311e but on the 5211e it would not work in a driveway, way too dark unless you put in external illuminators.

I just ordered a couple of the 5611 cameras, I'll compare to my 5211e cameras and see if there is a major difference. Thanks for the video, though it has way more light than a lot of my locations it was nice to see at least.

The difference is amazing, you won't be disappointed. When I used a 5211E on my driveway, it was so dark it was useless. Also, the 5211E has an IR working range of 2m, the 5611 is 20m.

Korgoth - how far away was that car in the first part of the video? Looks like 50m at least? Excellent clarity and detail at night. I have just emailed the Oz distributor for availability and price.

So you would say there's a night and day difference It worked so well it wouldn't even switch to night mode unless I changed the max exposure to 1/60th.

I have my first 5611e installed and working now and I have the same "trouble" where it's getting so much light it's staying in day mode at night. Very good shot, amazing really but I want to see how it looks in night mode. I set the auto sensor setting to 1 and it was still in day mode so I switched to 1/60th today to see if that will get me in night mode tonight, we'll see.

This camera catches so much more light than my 5211e cameras that is not even funny. I'm switching to this camera completely for my LP shots. I have one 5211e that is recording all night no matter what I try so I'm going to swap the camera out for the 5611 and see how it looks then. Be an interesting comparison in a challenging lighting environment for sure.

I try and tell people this, the 5611 is not like any camera that ACTi sells for low light performance. Also, it does so with good WDR. For example, I can see the treads of the tires on my truck in the shadow of the truck in bright sunlight where with most cameras, it would be just black with no detail.

Interestingly enough when I had it set to 1/60th it switched into night mode, but it got grainy and caused motion detection all night long. Set it back to 1/30th and I'll just take the color image lol!