300winmag

HomePlug Powerline technology

I recently got a few quotes for running cables throughout my house for 8 outdoor cameras. All were well over $1000 just for running the wires, I would do it but there is no easy access so I would have to start ripping stuff up. I was looking at the Logitech alert system(Uses your plug ins for data transfer) but it lacks in quality. So I got the idea to find some other cameras that use the same technology. It just so happens that where ever I want to put a camera there is a light right there that I could steal power from.

So anybody know of some good cameras that use this ingenious technology?

Some cameras has back battery, but it is temporary use. The power supply is really a problem

Running ethernet costs me between $65 & $100 per run depending on the length/complexity of the run. One thing you can do is put switches at intermediary points. For example, if your NVR/PC is in the back of the house, and you have 2-3 camera toward the front, you can have a single run to the front of your home and then PoE switch with short runs to each location. Also, if they are outdoors, maybe you can run the wire under an eave or soffit where it's not visible.

Check out Brickcom, they make up to 5MP cameras that can effectively run WiFi. Of course you will have to supply power and you can use PoE injector to power them, but you wouldn't have to do a home run, just a run long enough to reach 110V. Their WiFi is serious WiFi, not a cheap $100 camera that doesn't work more than 20-30' away. When I scanned WiFi with the Brickcom, it found about 50 SSIDs and compare that to my laptop that found 2-3. But you may find the additional $100 or so for the WiFi option about the same as hardwiring and makes more sense for areas where hardwiring is not physically possible.

At CES two years ago, there were a few companies that had powerline adapters with PoE injector built in, another alternative, but then you need a direct outlet to plug into.

At CES two years ago, there were a few companies that had powerline adapters with PoE injector built in, another alternative, but then you need a direct outlet to plug into.

Happen to remember the brand?

I currently use NetGear powerline devices. They help for some camera runs where hardwiring is impossible.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/

Would be nice to have an all in 1 unit with the PoE built in.

No, but maybe googling PoE Powerline may yield something. If you ever been to CES, you know how overwhelming it is and you come home with bags of brochures and you can never find that one thing you really wanted to remember.

It's like when I went to ISC, there was a booth selling an LPR camera that outputed text along with the image for license plates, something we can interface into our access control but I could never find them again.

I was going to just steal the power from the outside lights . There are 7 lights outside exactly where I want to put the cameras so I was going to splice into the wires for the lights and steal the juice. I just need to find a good camera system to do it.

If you can source one of the logitech outdoor poe/powerline adapters you can just hook it straight into your poe camera straight.

it not any kind of new technology. its just a combination of a poe injector, powerline transceiver, and waterproof outdoor power supply. very neat.