safdar

video monitoring design suggestions

Hello

I need to design a feasible and economical video monitoring & recording system with 7 fixed and 3 PTZ cameras on a partly developed housing estate, area about 3km wide & 5km long. The objective is to save money by replacing a number of watchmen hired for security. Only traffic and any suspicious activity in coverage area is to be monitored, not houses. The camera points are to be scattered mostly at road (already built) dead ends (near boundary of estate) and control room is built at the entrance. The distances range between 50m (entrance monitoring) to 4000m (last edge).

My biggest concern is the right selection of transmission media. My first thought was to lay optic fiber along the roads from control room to camera locations. Due to very uneven terrain ups & downs, that seems too expensive (high digging cost). The option with aerial fiber cable may be unsafe for such distances. As there is no internet access, the option left is perhaps wireless. I am not sure about the frequency, but guess it should not be very high to demand for very sharp line-of-sight condition. The uneven terrain will demand very high masts, again uneconomical and unsafe. May be 800 MHz works. Suggestion from you guys will be appreciated to help me settle for the right option. Forgot to mention, a two way audio is also required from control room to all camera points on the same media.

1329353904_securitycamerasystemplan-.thumb.gif.39267d3a23053150ad60a32411e946b8.gif

Does the estate own the phone line cable on the premises? If so, you could look into VDSL2+ converters on the existing phone cabling, you might need to repeat at one or two midpoints, though (or possibly using existing cable TV wiring, with a DOCSIS modem network).

NLOS 900 MHz gear is pretty limited in bandwidth, you might take a look at Motorola (now Cambium) Canopy equipment, but you may not be able to get enough bandwidth to make it work.

You may want to look into how you can find some midpoints between cameras and the headend to make 2.4 or 5.8 LOS wireless gear work with short towers (I've found that Ubiquiti 2.4GHz equipment is able to penetrate a reasonable amount of foliage at short distances, but it's by no means guaranteed).

Alternatively, you may want to look at cameras with edge recording capability (or small NVR's), to allow you to transmit a low quality, low bandwidth live signal, but able to retrieve high quality video when necessary.

I think fiber optical is an pocket option for your plan. One of my friend just finished an area monotoring project and he is carried out fiber.( a total of 100 pcs and would scale up in 2nd phase)

As for Internet, you could buying fiber interface router. And he has told me better do not use PTZ camera for moniroing traffic, you know when vehicle volume is large whcih is target to aim or just rotating..