MiamiBeachBum

computer to hold a DVR card?

Can you all give me some minium specs for a computer to hold a geo vision 16 channel 120fps card with 12 cameras attached?

Such as processor speed. I know a p4 would be best.. Would it work good with say a p3 1ghz? as they are much less $$$

Ram

HD specs .. ( I can figure out size)

mother board dos and don'ts..

Video Card specs and features needed..

OS... (I prefer Xp)...

Any other requirements.. It will be decidated pc.. Also interested to know which features you guys think are most important..

Great... Thanks for the site.. So, I assume that I'd be ok with a p3 if I'm only going to be capturing 1 or 2 cameras at a time 120fPs total with no audio? I'm mainly going to be using the cameras for live viewing..

(below cut from website)

GV650, 750, 800, 900, 1000 models have 2,3,4,8,16 Bt878 "A/D capture" chip sets respectively. The factory uses a "HINT" chip to balance load and to control PCI bus traffic from these multiple Bt878s. This HINT chip conflicts with motherboard having VIA chip set; therefore, do not use motherboards with VIA chips. Also, use AGP video cards that supports Direct-X version 9. You can freely use any CPUs such as Pentium, AMD, Celeron etc.

If you capture up to 120fps at 320x240 pixel size with 4 channels of audio, all you need would be a P3 800Mhz. However, if you capture at 640x480, you need 4 times the CPU power. (Cannot capture audio with this video setting.)

To be honest I have pretty limited knowledge as I've only ever built one Geovision system - a Gv250 in an AMD XP2800 Barton system - but I think you're probably better off with the P4. Ideally you should capture at 640 x 480 as I believe that capturing at a lower resolution with the Geo will reduce the quality of the live image that you see as well as the recorded image ( but I might be wrong ), unless you are using the add-on real-time display card which would allow you to view all cameras simultaneously at full frame rate regardless of what rate your system records at. There are more knowledgeable persons on this forum though and I'm sure they'll set you on the right track

By the way, I'm using XP Pro and my system is rock solid stable. It's left on 24/7 and never locks up or fails to record.

Steve

Some Geo install tips, please note not all of these are necessary but they do help:

Motherboard....... Choose a motherboard with an Intel chipset, it really does not matter which one but for systems of 120FPS and higher I use a Motherboard with the newer 800MHZ FSB, make sure to choose a mainboard without onboard video as this can cause conflicts, We use ASUS but any board will do... Most important thing is not to use VIA chipset or SIS chipset boards on all models other than the GV250 or GV600 as these two do not have Hint Bridges.

CPU....... The P3 will work up to the 800 series, anything more than that would need the 800FPS and the P4 for peak performance, I am surprised you can even still buy P3 boards and CPU's, try to use the P4 if you want to use the video de-interlacer and the latest features, thing is Geo will release more stuff so having a more powerfull PC helps to prepare for future software development.

HDD..... any will do.. we use Seagate or Maxtor ... 7200 spin is best and go for the ones with the 8 meg buffer, do not put HDD's next to each other and use a removable cooling bay for each drive.

VIDEO CARD......This bit is tricky, it depends if you wish to use the Real Time Card or not......the latest GForce 4 cards support Direct X 9 or you can use the ATI cards as long as you do not use the Real Time Card, the ATI cards are better at dual monitor inputs, make sure to get a card with a good fan ATI can be slack on fans on the lower models.

CASE.... get a good power supply... ANTEC rocks and has great ventalation and spike support, get a case with extra fans in it and loads of room.

UPS...... MOST IMPORTANT!!!! get a UPS with softwrae shutdown... this IS IMPERRATIVE...

SET UP.... Turn off all power management in the BIOS and WINDOWS.. load Direct X 9... load the drivers before the software... make sure to tick START UP MONITOR ALL in the Geo settings..

RAM.... The faster the better 528 for above the 800 series... we use CORSAIR and it rocks.

Ideally you should capture at 640 x 480 as I believe that capturing at a lower resolution with the Geo will reduce the quality of the live image that you see as well as the recorded image ( but I might be wrong ),

Yep.. you can choose 640x480 on display and 320x240 on recording if you want.. its the rendering that kills the CPU! The software interlacing.. if you choose this then you should use a P4 also drop the frame capture speed by half if you up it to 640x480 on a P3

Geovision is very stable... shame the same can't be said about the women I date!!