Tony_Tony

basics to know about in DVR & CCTV sales

Hello guys my name is Tony & I'm new on the forum..

my background is video editing, a friend shop was vandalised and he called me to assist him get the footage from the dvr..since i didnt know the make & the fact that it was a linux embedded dvr it took me quite a while to extract convert & edit the footage..but anyway that was my first with that & he's now told his colleagues that i know "a lot" about cctv & dvr's..

my question is, what are "must know" basics that i need to have, say if i wanted to be salesman for cctv co. ?

Best advice : read a good reference book on CCTV and digital formats . One of biggest names in this field is mr. Damjanovski

http://www.amazon.com/CCTV-Newnes-Vlado-Damjanovski/dp/0750671963

regard edited video : in my country is even transfer from disk to usb ( backap) treated as tampered (edited) video, if operator does not have state issued licence. There was some big court fail because of that.

So best practice in the case of possibile court trials is to remove hard disk from dvr at moment of recorded incident .

Good choice is to buy a DVR with drive bays for easy exchange of dvr so anyone can replace hard disk in case of emegrency.

First thing to remember is that edited video is useless in court...

You beat me to it. The whole point of translating video into an unimpeachable format is that it cannot be readily edited and the footage is raw and untouched as it occurred which is what courts want. I am amazed that you were able to get the footage edited in the firstplace you must be some kind of guru. Police and courts want video that can't be edited on a CD DVD with a unique player so the RAW fles can be played on any PC from the optical drive or the HDD.

I know what you mean abut being hailed some kind of expert having had a go for a friend. I am the same with DIY and home maintenance. I once unblocked a lady's drain as I had my pressure washer and drain rods in the van, for weeks after that I had requests to unblock people's drains.

Most CCTV systems have some common feature which will be similar in others all are slightly different. It's kind of like a computer technician having to deal with several versions of windows and linux, effectively the same thing only its CCTV with a different set of objectives. You will need to learn a bit about port forwarding and setting up CMS software and of course DNs servers and how they work, but for you I imagine it'll be quite simple. If you find a good importer with a good range of CCTV who can offer you support it'll be worth paying a little more having that support there.

Byu sticking with one brand there will be one great selling advantage, when you meet potential clients you can show them live streaming video from various shops or businesses that you've installed and store the setting all in one CMS (Central Management Software, which also shows the client that you are Tech Savvy and you can explain to them that these are all clients with the same brand of DVRs so you can add a second and even a third DVR as and when the client wants. It's great when there is a client with several sites, see their face when they realize they can keep an eye on all sites from their office, or even when they go away on vacation. I have one client that manufactures leather upholstery and when they go out to furniture buyers they shoe the cameras at their factory of the sofas actually being manufactured. This is a "BIG" selling point for them and their cameras are soon due to go live on their website too.

Of course the other thing to remember is the if your clients call you to adjust any settings, you can log in and do it remotely. This happened to me when I was with a potenial client and the moment he realized I could do it he wanted me to attend to that so he could witness it. Once he did, he was sold. When can you start the job? I hadn't even quoted him yet.

The other thing is that once you have a few online, you can demonstrate live the difference between types of camera, (remember to keep a record of which camera views are from which cameras.) By sticking with one brand you will quickly become expert in that brand and be able to answer client questions and show the systems to their best advantage and the confidence you have will also sell systems for you. When you price up a job, always put a at least a full day for training and commissioning.

In short learn your capabilities and wow the clients. For my clients that refuse to change their broadband ISP and have a dynamic IP, I have opened an account with NO-IP and I create a domain for them which costs me relatively little in comparison to losing the job. The problem with free IP servers is there is always some like having to register every 30 days. Your clients are NOT going to do that and you will be the villain of the story. Better to add then to your IP server account. They can even use the DNS server for other services without any effect to their CCTV.

If a client wants 4 cameras sell them four with a 8 channel DVR because clients always stsrt to think about extra cameras and feel reassured when they realize they can have more without losing their initial investment. Also they need not worry too much if one of their live channels goes out they can switch to another channel that isn't being used.

You will find a lot of excitement in selling CCTV but walk away from cheapskates they irritate, life is too much fun and too short.