Sign in to follow this  
eightman

CABLE quality

Hello !

I'm here, because i begin in cctv installation and i would like to know what do you think about the quality cable i order :

RG59 0.8mm bare copper+4.7mm FPE+ AL foil+128*0.12MM cu braiding + 6.9mm black PVC jacket power cable:2 core 12*0.2mm bare copper

Thank you !

It's been a while and I hope my math is right; but it looks like the 2 conductor wires made from 12 strands of .2 mm of cu is a little light. .2mm wire is essentially #32 gauge wire and 12 strands would bring it up to an equivalent ~#21 gauge wire:

.2mm has an equivalent cross sectional copper area of .032 sq mm, and 12 strands of it would have an equivalent cross sectional copper area of .384 sq mm. .384 sq mm is about #21-22 gauge wire, which is fairly small for the currents most cameras will draw except in very short runs. Most recommend using at least #18 gauge wire for supplying a typical camera anyway. Here's a link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

In addition that cable has an aluminum foil inside the copper; many don't recommend aluminum foil for CCTV because it can cause ghosting or distortion at standard video frequencies. My gut tells me that cable is probably light on the braided copper as well (but I admit I didn't do the calculations), and it likely uses the aluminum foil for controlling signal leakage at cable TV or higher rf frequencies. Most seem to prefer 95% copper braid RG59 for all but the shortest runs for CCTV. But it may work o.k. if the run is fairly short and not near any major sources of electrical or rf noise.

Here's a link to a recent post that discusses this a little more:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22433

Hello,

Thank you for your information.

In fact this is a manufacturer that makes the cable as needed, so it is possible to change.

I replaced the two power cables by : 2 * 0.5mm Cu (2 bigger cables, like this it's more easy for installation).

I have to remove the aluminum foil for CCTV ? don't replace by other foil ?

For the coverage i think it's 95% coverage Cu, because i ask him that.

Can you tell me the specifications of a best cable for you please, like that i ask him the same ^^.

Thank you very much !

Laurent

In fact this is a manufacturer that makes the cable as needed, so it is possible to change.

hi i think you will find it mucg easier to just go and buy your rg59 from a good distributor. dont listen to manufacturers who say thay will make the cable for you.

or just go cat5 keep installs simple

Hi,

The problem is that i'm from a small island in the middle of Indian Ocean, and there isn't choice here. So i have to order.

I think i prefer coaxial cable beacause balun is expensive and we never know if it's good quality.

Thank you

The foil shield won't make much, if any, difference as long as the braided copper outer shield is really pure copper and covers 95%. Foil shielding will not cause ghosting or any other problems. The key problem with most foil-shielded cables is that they also typically use either aluminum or steel or too little copper in the shielding. That makes the resistance of the shield high and has the same effect as using a copper-clad or too small center conductor.