what-da

need help choosing low light camera

Lots of manufacturers show off wonderful looking night video of their cameras that is not realistic for the typical suburban user.

That's why I do my reviews with typical house lighting, suburban street lights and you get noise or cameras that don't have noise because of noise reduction have lost detail. If I put that same camera in big city, urban environment it looks fantastic. They do video's in downtown Taipei and wow, that camera is amazing. No it's not, you just don't realize how well lit most urban areas are.

Thanks buellwinkle. That is the same way I look at cctv cameras because if they perform in domestic installations with poor lighting then they will perform in any good commercial well lit installations.

I am looking for a top cameras that can cope with bad lighting conditions.

Thanks buellwinkle. That is the same way I look at cctv cameras because if they perform in domestic installations with poor lighting then they will perform in any good commercial well lit installations.

I am looking for a top cameras that can cope with bad lighting conditions.

I am leaning towards external IR for my front corner mounted camera, but before I spend the money I'm going to see the real world results of the new Axis P33 with its integrated IR. I have high expectations we will see if my hopes are dashed.

So you are saying that in night mode you can't set the shutter speed to something like 1/100?

yes unless you use a fixed shutter of 1/100 for day & night = exposure problem when scene is too bright during day

Following up on this, I bought a 3364 and I'm very happy. IR sensitivity is very good.

You can tell the camera to switch between a fixed night time shutter speed (1/250 for me) and auto shutter during the day. You do this with an event trigger. There is a trigger event for day mode on, night mode on. Based on that trigger, you use an http command to tell the camera to reprogram itself. Setting this value on and off, ImageSource.I0.Sensor.ManualShutterControl gives the ability to have a fixed shutter at night (it remembers the last set value) and an auto shutter in the day.