I'm currently using an EdiMax 3030 POE here: http://ExtremeSurfCam.DynDNS.org:8080 (it's the one labeled "Extreme Beach").

For eighty bucks, I can't complain: it's doing 100% of the job I want done given non-PTZ.

It's installed in the cupola atop a gazebo behind a hotel on the bay: http://tinyurl.com/9dgm6ng

DIY IP-66 consists of an old photographic skylight filter tub-caulked over the lens opening, a plastic bag, and liberal application of electrical tape.

Believe-it-or-not, it's been through one local hurricane-type storm that caused major damage in the area and at least a dozen serious squalls and it's still tickin'.

However my expectation is that the chances of it's making it through the winter are between zero and none....

To that end, I'm shopping. ACTi's 4200 looked promising, but then it dawned on me that it lacks POE.

Can anybody suggest something in the ACTi line that's megapixel, under two-hundred bucks, and POE?

Where I'm going with this is that my other cam at that site is an ACTi KCM-5311E and if I can replace the EdiMax with an ACTi it seems like maybe I could get away with a much smaller/cheaper PC as the server since a lot of the heavy lifting can be delegated to the camera in ACTi's scheme of things.

Sure, you can use an Atom processor based PC if you wanted to. All their cubes I know of are PoE, the ACM-4201, TCM-4201 and TCM-4511. Some are 12V + PoE. This is an indoor camera. The TCM-1111 is probably their least expensive outdoor camera.

Sure, you can use an Atom processor based PC if you wanted to. All their cubes I know of are PoE, the ACM-4201, TCM-4201 and TCM-4511. Some are 12V + PoE. This is an indoor camera. The TCM-1111 is probably their least expensive outdoor camera.

An all-ACTi environment is starting to appeal to me for that reason.

But before I go and blow a bundle on a new cam, can anybody list the other NVRs that can react to different make/model camera motion-sense events instead of doing all the heavy lifting themselves?

Seems like somebody mentioned one in another thread but observed that particular one was new and not quite up to speed.

Zoneminder can be configured to react to almost anything almost any way you want. Needs some knowledge of linux, scripting etc though. But i recently configured it to start recording on motion detected by my acti acm1231 camera (as well as pir motion detectors attached to my axis 2400 video servers and vivotek cam) and that wasn't overwhelming to do, but to some it might be.

Edited by Guest

Exacq Start will do the job but cost $50/camera and I heard it's slow to find recorded video. Avigilon's low end NVR software will also do the job, but cost more than Exacq.