JayWales

Advice needed - Budget(!) HD System?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice please.

I'm putting together a system for an events company - basically what's needed is multiple cameras at a high resolution, the ability to record an entire event and to review / segment parts of that event for highlights etc.

Currently in use is an Aver 7240 PC DVR card, with 3 cameras into it. This gives 25fps recording, but not at great resolution. The review / segment process is easy though, and the video file is exported as an avi which can then be played back on screens around the conference hall etc. In an instant replay style!

What I'd like to do is up the number of cameras available, and increase the resolution. All on a budget, and without losing the ease of use the guys have gotten used to. Needs to be real time recording.

I've looked at the Everfocus HD CCTV gear, and that seems like a good option, but has the drawback of not handling IP cameras if we go that way in the future. Good idea for using existing cabling though.

Any other ideas for me to look at?

Thank you from an almost clueless newbie!

The problem with the current Aver card is we can only get 25fps out of 3 cameras at their middle resolution - Sorry don't have the actual res. figures!

Ahh OK I understand!

So MP is MegaPixel yes? Took me a minute

so if I try an IP camera then that will be independent of the DVR fps settings?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick :/

Ahh OK I understand!

So MP is MegaPixel yes? Took me a minute

so if I try an IP camera then that will be independent of the DVR fps settings?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick :/

hi yes thats right. if you go into settings go to cameras then click network cameras you will see a dropdown list of ip MP you can use. if you havent run a patch in the last few months then you will need to. over 300 ip are now available for aver

Cheers both. I'll have a deeper look into the current setup.

If we can run IP cameras, and get away from the fps limit on the DVR then that'll mean we can keep the PC based DVR and just upgrade the cameras. Much easier!

I'll download the patches from Aver and go from there.

fps with ip cameras will still be limited by your network and pc hardware, so don't expect going to ip to be a magic fix for the issue if your network is overloaded or your pc is too old and slow.

It's a decent enough spec PC, quad core etc. So I'm hoping it'll be able to cope with changing at least 2 cameras to IP and maybe adding another 1 or 2 as well.

Definitely worth a play though before I go ahead and buy new cards etc.

Thanks all