Sign in to follow this  
jeromephone

motion detection

In general what is the "proper" way to setup for motion detection recording. If I set up the camera to detect motion does that mean that no images are being sent to the NVR or do I set both the camera and the NVR to motion detect. I am looking at this from a geovision IP camera/nvr system. When you set an IP camera for motion detection what does that really mean. I have not tried it but would that mean if the camera was set to motion detec you should have a blank screen until there is movement. If you could set it that way seems like you would save some hd space.

You will see the cameras all the time no matter what, the computer will only record the stream when there is motion though. During the normal viewing nothing is being put on the HD at all as you are only watching the camera live stream.

If the camera is doing the motion detection as usual with IP cameras then the computer is sitting pretty idle when no motion going on, and when motion triggers then the HD will record the stream. CPU is pretty idle if all motion is being done on the camera side too, even when recording.

You don't save hard disk space by having the camera do video motion detection vs. the server doing it. You only save CPU cycles. But video motion detection has it's weaknesses as shadows, bushes/trees blowing in the breeze can trigger it so to save on false motion detect events, many cameras have alarm inputs where you can attach a PIR motion detect which is more accurate and save HD space that way. Another way to save HD space is to have adequate lighting as noisy images don't compress as well.

Frankly, I never worry about HD space, it's probably the cheapest thing on the system. 3TB SATA drives have dropped into the $150-200 range and 2TB drives are approaching $100.

Then would setting motion detect on camera side help a geovision system as from what I have read on this forum Geo uses a lot of cpu power. WOuld you be able to tell the difference between two systems one running detect from the cam and on running detect from the nvr? harddrive space is cheap but I still like to search through as little data as possible.

it really depends on how gv handles motion detection processing. some dvrs are very efficient at it, some not so much.

most times you'll find that if an nvr does its own motion detection, then it won't take motion triggers from the cameras; and if it's designed to use the cameras' motion detection, then the nvr won't have the function built-in. so if you've already settled on gv cameras and nvr, you get whichever route gv has decided to go, and which is "better" becomes irrelevant.

Don't know how Geovison NVR works but I understand their reputation is their software is a CPU pig. ACTi NVR is free and uses the camera's motion detect or alarm input to trigger recording. At rest, with 6 cameras the PC is doing pretty much nothing. When it's recording, CPU may go up a few percent. If you haven't bought cameras yet, take a look at ACTi. I have some of my personal ACTi cameras for sale if you want to get started for a lower price. The downside of doing my camera reviews is I get a new camera, I like it, I replace an older camera with it, never ending cycle