pingsquare

Wiring Suggestions for a quarter mile

any suggestions for wiring for a factory with 16 cameras, 2 PTZs and 14 day and night infra-red camera?

The longest point will be about 450 metre.

any suggestions on what to use? Fibre? Baluns? or just plain RG-7 or RG-11?

was considering RG7 or RG 11 but i am afraid of electrical interference since these is it is a factory....

450 meter = 1,476.3779528 feet

You can get away with RG59 actually, but loss of video quality could require an amp.

Also you could use Active UTP, like the NVT gear, does 1.5 miles with little to no video loss ONLY if using Active UTP.

Fiber is always the best, once you got alot of cash to burn.

Rory

anyway the place is full of machinery..... will the signal attenuates because of the machines? and will thicker and more heavy duty wires like RG 7 or RG 11 be able to withstand this instead of using RG 59 wiring?

budget is not a problem...but not too expensive...

Rory's right, but with the fibre solution you're guaranteed no interference, even if the cable is run against a high voltage power cable. Also the upgrade path for the future is easier because all you do is change the end-boxes to accomodate more signals without having to install new cable. Just costs a load more.

I'm not totally familiar with the NVT UTP gear but have used the GE UTP (active & passive) with excellent results. Problem with a factory is always the electrical environment to consider. The UTP would be my bet. Test each cable run with a cam as it's installed if you're not sure. You may have to re-route if there's interference.

What type of factory is it? Ive run RG59 in a factory here without issues, but not that distance, though we kept it a few feet away from the high voltage and it came out good.

If budget's not too much of a problem then look at using the fibre gear,and then the UTP gear. GE makes good products in both categories, but there are others. Co-ax in this environment I would tend to stay away from unless you're guaranteed clean cable runs (slim chance). The problem is not really the use of RG11 over RG59 because all this really gives you is more distance using a thicker cable (minimises the DC resistance in the cable). The interference will still be there if indeed there is some (depends on the type of machinery). Also, how do you intend powering the cameras, centrally or wherever there's a point ?

actually i did consider the use of balun, but discovered that the picture quality is not as good as using coax cables....

actually all the wiring is going to be like a flyover to the factory as there's quite a lot of open space from the factory office to the factory main plant and no way are we going to do it underground.

along the way, we have inspected that there isn't any high voltage cabling. So i presume there shouldn't be any problem with interference..

with regards to length, RG 11 running for 1400 feet, i presume should be a problem right?

Sure you tried the Active UTP Baluns ? The RG11 is good for the distance but just remember that 16X RG11 on an overhead run is going to be heavy and bulky. I presume this will run from post to post on a catenary wire with retaining loops ? ... and there's still no telling what the actual factory environment poses. Do a costing on fiber though. Here in South Africa I can get some fiber cable types the same price as RG11. Just the end boxes and connectorising costs.

or use Nitek UTPLink equipment. You could go active or passive really, based on the distance you are at it is borderline.

Scottj

Active UTP will give you next to no Losss of video, you will loose video quality with Passive whether it is UTP or Coax. You can also use an Amplifier for Coax as well, but that only goes around 1200ft average.

If you use a cheap Active UTP model, eg, OEM, then youcant expect it to be that great, check Nitek or NVT.

hmm....NVT looks like a good choice....but dunno whether the picture quality will be as good as using coax...

the last time i use a balun...the image came out all snowy...

They arent baluns, they are 100 times better than a balun, and the Active Hubs will produce much higher quality video than if using coax without an amp.

They are used alot with products like GE Cyber Domes, on long distances for example. The hubs are nice cause you can just rack mount them with the DVR or Mux.

Rory

There is no problem with active UTP equipment excepting a lack of shielding on the cat5 cable, I prefer to use coax it just seems to give a better result and using the XF range (Bosch) allows you very long distances without need of UTP gear or amps so I do not bother much with UTP gear.

1.5 miles with the ActiveUTP Hubs, and you can repeat them to go as far as you need. Shielding is stil la problem with coax, all wire needs to be kept at least 1 foot from high voltage.

Im not a fan of phillips... oops I mean bosch

well guys, thanks for all your input..anyway contacted the local reseller for NVT...has agreed to let us try it out with a loan set...well..seeing is believing...will be running a comparison test with coax...will update u guys on the results...

Active UTP would certainly be worth considering, but another reason to seriously consider fibre, is that particularly in a large factory environment, there won't be any risk of earth loop hums (ELH).

Any copper systems unless fitted with suitable isolation techniques, would almost certainly be at high risk of ELH, given the likelyhood of many mains distribution boards, all earthed to different potentials.

How far would you run an RG59 cable for CCTV video transmission with no amps.

If using an amp what brand and how many feet have you run in the past?

Looking for about a 2000ft

any suggestions for wiring for a factory with 16 cameras, 2 PTZs and 14 day and night infra-red camera?

The longest point will be about 450 metre.

any suggestions on what to use? Fibre? Baluns? or just plain RG-7 or RG-11?

was considering RG7 or RG 11 but i am afraid of electrical interference since these is it is a factory....

you can go for ofc using transmitter and receiver.