MichaelHope

500 mtr Night time surveillance system

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and I am sure there is someone on here that can help me.

We have a large property (36000 acres) and we are having trouble with night time poachers. We have wild emu's on the property (large ostrich like bird) which we are very keen to protect. Emu's have very poor eye sight in the dark and are easily hunted by hand. The poachers corner and kill them for their feathers and meat and we are sick of it as they are protected. Not only that but the poachers damage the fences and other property. We know where the poachers are but we cant see them, we can hear them breaking branches as they walk around, I have nearly run over one but he got away.

I would like to design a night time mobile surveillance system to mount on the 4wd. I am an electronics technician so I know my way around electronics, RS485, communications protocols etc. I have looked at proper Thermal Imaging systems (balometer sensor DALI) but these are very expensive ($16000+), so I am reduced to building my own system.

I have a set of parameters that the system needs to operate under.

I need to be able to drive in the dark no lights.

Must be able to zoom to around 200-700 metres.

I will use an infra red laser for illumination 200mW+ (which I can design no worries if one doesn't exist).

Full PTZ control, auto iris, PAL/NTSC output as I already have a 7" and 12" LCD monitor mounted in the 4wd for other purposes.

I would like to use this system during the day as well.

There are plenty of good continuous rotation PTZ platforms on Alibaba so I will use one of these.

So here are my questions. I know this is going to generate a lot of interest and discussion (good and bad) so be kind to me.

I was going to use a 1/2" CCD camera. Am I on the right track? I have read heaps about the differences between CMOS and CCD and as far as I can tell I need a good sensitive CCD at 1/2" format.

How does the optical zoom interface to the PTZ system?

Camera lens required. 200-250mm?

Not quite sure I fully understand the f part of the camera/lens setup. Am I looking for a low f (1.2-1.6)?

I think from the above you guys can tell me what I need to do.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Mick

Edited by Guest

Have decided to forget the laser illumination. Can obtain the same result using HID spotlight and 850nm filter. One problem solved.

Mick

Keep in mind u will produce fairly strong Red glow

it will be kinda visible

Have decided to forget the laser illumination. Can obtain the same result using HID spotlight and 850nm filter. One problem solved.

Mick

Keep in mind u will produce fairly strong Red glow

it will be kinda visible

Hey ak357,

Thanks for the comment mate. I thought about that too, but I have found an IR filter from magnalight. The guy there assures me that no visible light will come through it. http://www.magnalight.com/pc-48376-114-infrared-cover-for-the-hid-65-50-s-spotlight--850nm.aspx

Thanks mate.

Mick

Can someone have a look at this lens for me and tell me what you think. How will this go with a 1/3" CCD camera? Max distance I can get to etc.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/378512162/CCTV_Lens_10_200mm_2_Motorized.html

Thanks

I thought you were going to get a PTZ unit. In that case, the lens is included. But I'm not sure anyone makes a PTZ with a lens big enough to reach 2000 feet. a 200mm lens on a 1/3 inch sensor, 1280x720 image, is going to get you 26 pixels per foot. You'll see what is going on, but the image could not be used for identification.

And you are going to have to have a a super stable platform for that lens otherwise all you will get is blurry cam pictures.

Image quality is all about lenses - that's not the place to get cheap. Fujinon, Computar, Penta, Tokina, etc - look for brand names. A quick price check shows that a 320mm Fujinon IR corrected, megapixel lens is about $4500. That lens includes motorized zoom/focus.

Thanks bike rider, that was the information I was after. I was going with a PTZ unit but I already guessed that the lens that's supplied with any camera wasn't going to cut it which is why I am going to build something from the ground up. I don't need any footage of them, I need to see where they are so I can run over the mongrels. Pity I don't live in Africa, shooting poachers is legal there, cops here frown on that sort of thing but if I run them over in the dark surely this is an accident??????

Anyway I have rented a thermal imaging (FLIR HS-307) camera for a month that should do what I want, can spot a man at 1.5km. But as an exercise I might still build this thing. My optometrist builds his own telescopes, shapes his own 6-10" lens', refractors and everything. I had the best lesson on lens' from him. He uses a 3 CCD camera on his scopes, the clarity on this is outstanding. He reckons he can build me a motorised lens that will do the trick, I have to believe him after seeing his hand built scope collection.

Thanks again mate.

FLIR arrived this afternoon and just in time. 2 more dead emu's last night, the pack is down to 60 from about 95. Now the fun begins, the hunted become the hunters.

Thank you to the people who answered some of my questions on here. The thermal imaging works a treat. There is no hiding from these devices. It's only a matter of time before we catch the poachers. I can sit back about 1000 mtrs and clearly see the emus, rabbits, possums in trees, rats on the ground etc. I did some hiding in the bushes and my brother could clearly see me, even my foot prints across the paddock were visible. No need for the system I was going to build now I have this.

Many thanks.