Razer_SE

What caused this license plate to dissappear? Pics

Quick question for you all, I have an interesting problem here that I wanted some feedback on.

Quick story is that this vehicle has a truck bed full of stolen items, can identify items clearly, got a couple of decent face shots, great video of distinctive truck. Great. The camera shot here he has to drive right by on the way out and it should see his plate at least somewhat. As he exits though just as the plate should come into view it looks like it is masked, it disappears into a black line that when you watch the video looks like it is drawn across the plate as he turns.

What the heck. This camera was meant to watch the gate remotely, but not necessarily to actually capture the plate as I use other cameras for that and zoom in of course. But normally you can get the plate anyway with this camera. This location is small and did not rate a full camera system, these were just added this year actually for basic remote viewing of property. I just tested 5 other vehicles exiting and was able to make out the plate with just a little work, no hint of this effect. Not bad for a basic Vivotek 8332 camera.

Still, this looks blocked somehow. The only thing I can think of is the photo radar plate blockers/covers that I know are out there, but I did not think they worked this well? Any other ideas? Whatever it was, it was quite effective.

First photo is as he is rounding the corner, then as he moves by the black bar appears. Cropped photos close for better view.

Plate1.jpg.e28a0275b8802664f3fd81e3bd7ca389.jpg

Plate2.jpg.7f28d46b3de5a9777781e815c7806bf4.jpg

Plate3.jpg.8aa006cd26801e74fac05ac23e59502a.jpg

Last photo, plate looks totally black until out of sight.

Thought he just took off plate at first glance, then I noticed the censor bar effect. Plates for trucks are white with large black letters, I pulled off three plate numbers with the same type of plates yesterday no problem but not this one.

Plate4.jpg.a07dddd8aeeeaca5f4985f66a374e888.jpg

I knew of the same things, but just figured they were a scam. I've looked at reviews of those products and many say they don't work, whatever this is it works amazingly well. I want one myself lol! Frustrating in this case though.

The police called when I sent them video and asked if I had analytics on the camera that blocked the plate, they were asking that I remove the block and I laughed, said I'm sorry, that is something I've never seen before and we were not purposely blocking the plate by any means. They were mystified too, and the guy I talked really knew his security software and cameras.

It is a little hard to tell exactly what happened. Can you post a video?

I'll try and get one up if I can figure out how to crop it a little bit. Basically the plate is white as in the first shot, then as he round the corner to exit the black appears and "paints" in as he goes around and the plate turns black for all intents and purposes. I tried to get shots of it crossing the plate, seems to happen at as a certain angle from the camera. Seems passive, not like some other plate systems I've seen.

Motorized

http://www.hideplates.com/products/rear-only-usa-hide-plate-kit

Electrically triggered

http://privacyplates.com/Privacy_Plates.com/Privacy_Plates.com_-_Home.html

http://www.stealthperformanceproducts.com/TricPlate.html

Still not seen something like this exactly though as these need you to trigger them.

This effect looks closest to what I'm seeing, but the entire plate does this not just the numbers.

http://www.amazon.com/Photomaskcover-License-Protector-No-Ticket-Guarantee/dp/B005FMF9DQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

I had hideaway license plates on my Audi, specifically for looks. In the O.C. cops don't hassle you for not having front plates and who wants front plates on their car? In L.A. and S.D. the cops are more particular. I'll throw a plate on the dash if I park there but it gets annoying.

So I installed a hideaway license plate bracket. You push the keyfob remote and the plate dissapears. The problem is they are made cheap and fall apart in no time. Not car wash friendly. I could send it in for warranty repair but I figure it would just be a never ending cycle.

If anyone has experience with one that is made well, I would love to put it back on.